|51|

{ZHARA}

To be completely honest, I had no fucking clue what I was doing. 

When I had waltzed right into this mess, I thought nothing would get in my way of taking down my father from the other side. Little did I know, I would soon give my body up to someone I was supposed to hate. You would think someone like me would be able to get over a few late-night spurs of the moment, but no-- I'm so far deep in him that I feel like I need to be hospitalized. The only thing keeping me from going utterly insane is the dog I found a few days ago. And even that little animal is starting to drive me crazy. 

My heart had no business trying to tell my mind who I belonged to. After all these years, I had always let my logic overcome what I truly wanted. I technically didn't have a choice in what I did. But that shouldn't matter anymore, right?

As Zion said, I have my freedom on paper, but who have I truly given my life to?

~***~

I chewed the inside of my cheek restlessly in the backseat of the armored car. I was valid in having unsettled nerves about what was going to happen, but it wasn't the mission that was stalling my thoughts. 

How was I supposed to focus on anything when Zion's eyes have been on me this entire time? He was looking at me like he wanted to fuck me before killing my father right in front of me. 

I mean, I wouldn't say no...

But still, it was a little daunting. 

I had kept my mouth shut the entire drive because I knew I couldn't trust my voice. My heart was racing for so many different reasons. 

And right as I was finally starting to ignore Zion's stare, the car came to a stop, and the conversations inside died down. I had never seen Isaiah looking so serious before, and Matteo was acting so deadly that I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to kill me, too. 

"Are the others here?" Zion questions Liam, who was driving the vehicle. 

Liam nods, "Right behind us, waiting for the next command."

Shit, this was really happening. 

I detached my seatbelt, sitting up straighter as I glanced out the window. We were parked in a desolate lot, and right across from us was a large building...the warehouse. The moon was the only source of light out here at this time. 

"Everyone's earpiece has been activated," Ren announces over our communicators. 

Zion looks back at us for a moment, sharing a look I couldn't describe with his brother. 

"Send in Fleet A and B now."

As soon as Zion's words were processed, we noticed movement from the black van parked the farthest behind us. 

 I could hear the crickets chirping in the dark, the only sound that would still feel the same after tonight. The air seemed heavy as I inhaled. My fingertips slightly shook as they grazed the side of my automatic rifle. 

Was I being selfish? 

This wasn't the time for second-guessing myself and my plan from the beginning. Once this was all over, I would finally be able to breathe. 

"Now," Ren signals over our earpieces. 

I'm the first to leave from behind the van, swiftly sneaking past the empty street and onto the property of the warehouse. My body cramps from the hunched position I'm in, but I don't notice it.