Chapter 2

Silently I tiptoe into the kitchen not wanting to wake my dad if he's still asleep. I take a bowl out of the dishwasher and a spoon and settle them on the table. I take the milk out of the fridge and seated with a loud sigh.

While eating, I scroll through Facebook and Instagram, wondering if Devon already let the world know he's single again. It's been two years since I posted something on Facebook. The only pictures I've got were from Devon because he tagged me in almost everything, or from co-workers. Suddenly the door opens from my dad's bathroom beside his chamber, revealing Ellen and my dad in the hallway.

"Ellen?" I ask in surprise because I didn't hear her coming in.

"Good morning, Mila." She smiled brightly.

"I thought you wouldn't come until noon?" I ask her in confusion. Because I start working at noon, I make sure to stay with dad until she comes over to take care of him.

"Yes, but your father called me. He asked if I couldn't come earlier to help him shave his beard, so here I am." She smiled warmly.

"Dad?" I say with my arms crossed. "I thought we talked about this?"

"I thought it was Thursday," he answers innocently. He knows I have to work an entire day on Thursday so he must have been confused he didn't see me downstairs and did not see Ellen while waking up.

"It's not a problem, Mila," Ellen assures me, but I know she has a family of her own with two teenagers.

"If you're not sure dad, call me okay. I was just upstairs." I tell him softly.

"Yes, I will." He says, knowing I'm treating him like a child. It hurts but I need to make sure he remembers and doesn't harass Ellen as she's already done so much for us lately. She cooks dinner and cleans the house while looking after my father while I'm working long hours. She's our family's fortune and I can't imagine what I would do without her help. Her help is also expensive and that's why I need to work so much. Dad has saved a little during my younger years to help me get on my feet, to pay for school and everything I needed. However, with all the hospital bills and the help of Ellen, we have landed on a massive turning point and that's why I'm searching for a second job I can combine with serving.

"Have you already found another job?" Ellen asked, bringing me out of my slumbering thoughts.

"No, unfortunately not." I sigh and when my eyes meet my dad's I know he has a clear mind. I could see the stress on his face.

"Dad, it's alright," I quickly take his hand as he was already seated across from me at the table.

"It's not alright. You have to work so hard and that's all my fault." He says, suddenly standing up from his seat. He strikes to the living area, lowering himself in his favorite red, leather chair, staring out of the window. These days it's almost the only thing that keeps him busy, the passengers who travel passed our house.

"I'm sorry I mentioned it," Ellen says appologetically, lowering herself beside me.

"It's okay. He needs to know because unfortunately I'll have less time for him when I do find something." I tell her truthfully.

"Yes, lying is so much worse. I'll go check with your father what he wants for breakfast." Ellen says, gently kneading my right shoulder before marching to my father. I watch them talk and sigh, letting my head sink on my hands. Hopefully work today will clear my mind a little more because I certainely need it.

Will and Louis are my bosses and I work with them for about four years now and they've become my best friends. Devon hated the fact I was best friends with my bosses because they were men. Even when he knew they were gay and a happy couple for ten years now, Devon still asked me stupid questions I've never understood before. He was unnecisarily jealous over nothing. Okay Will is very good-looking and bi-sexual, but that doesn't mean he would cheat his boyfriend.

I sigh when I caught myself thinking about Devon again and when I march to the door a feeling of relief hits me.
I yank the door open from Will's place to be, the curtains still lowered which isn't normal at this time of the day. Louis pops his head above the counter and I smile up at him. "Louis why are you closed?"

"Mila," and he stops before talking any further. "We need to talk." He continues, his eyes withdrawing from me. I swallow and follow him to a table for two, seating across from me. Louis is always the cheerful one, so seeing him like this makes me instantly worried. I check the rest of the room as I didn't hear anything from the back. Normally Will's busy at the back in his kitchen making his deliscious chili, but a defeaning sound was the only thing that greeted me.

I watch Louis swallow, fidgeting with his ring he got from Will. "Louis what's wrong? Is everything okay with you and Will?" I ask in concern. I hated the silence because it's not what I'm used to around here. This was a place you could come to and have a laugh. From families to weekly appointments with men who work in building constructions, it was always cosy and crowded in here.

"We're fine, Mila." Louis answers with a small, encouraging smile. "We've got some bad news from the witch." He continues.

"No, she didn't..." I answer him in shock, knowing what it means for me as well as for them.

"Yes, the bitch is going to plant an appartments building." He sighs.

"I thought your lawyer would arrange this?" I ask, wanting to know every detail from the confrontation.

"We thought so to, but we were wrong about him. He has cost us our last penny and you were here when he promised we could win this case. Despite his lost promises it all turned into a fucking mess. Will just called me and he went to listen to another lawyer and that man said we could have never won this all along. We have to close the place, Mila." Louis said with a sad expression on his face.

I swallow and couldn't force a smile. This isn't happening... How much worse can this day get? Will and Louis lost there business and I just lost my boyfriend and my fucking job in one day!!!