Chapter 23

I don't know how many drinks I've had, but it was too much. I'm not sure how long these technicians had to work, but it all looked fine to me. The music and even the lights seem okay to me. With a few swallows, I emptied my glass of wine. The bartender looks vile for a moment, not amused about me hanging at the bar.

"My boyfriend will pay for these drinks," I shout above the music toward the older bartender.

"I don't see your boyfriend, young lady," he says disapprovingly.

"I know, he's busy in his office," I tell him, pushing the empty glass toward him.

"You better call him," the man says before helping other customers.

"Call him? He's not even my real boyfriend!" I laugh. "Well, won't you give me a break!" I order him in a drunken state.

The man comes back with a bill. "One hundred dollars!" I giggle. "What an expensive wine," I whine.

"Miss, you better call your boyfriend or do I need to call a cab?" The older man asked.

"No, I already told you my boyfriend is here in his office. I'm just waiting for him to stop working so we can talk" I giggle at the man's puzzled expression.

"Oh, your boyfriend is Mister Donovan...." realization hits him hard. "I'm so sorry," the man says before taking the bill and throwing it in the dumpster. "Another glass of wine?" He asked a bit friendlier.

"No... you were right, I've got enough booze in me." I tab his hand in a friendly gesture before I feel the world spin around me. The world seems so much lighter when you're tipsy.

My feet carry me to the middle of the dancefloor. I tried hard to compose myself because this probably will be the last evening as Nick Donovan's girlfriend. I screwed up this evening so I better drink and get drunk, let loose of all the negativity that almost gave me depression since the fire. So many mixed emotions and I don't even know how to deal with them. I think it's only fair to let loose for just once. To just numb every feeling or emotion I feel at the moment. I hoped this would work not just for the money, but to have some positivity in my life. The weirdest thing is I hoped we could become friends, nothing more, just someone who I can count on when everything falls apart...

This is nothing like me, getting drunk or dancing all alone but for once I don't want to have control because it appears I'm not suited to get my life on track. Control is an illusion. I would like to think it is something you could earn by being wise or making the right decisions in life, but it's just an illusion.

I find the perfect spot in the middle of the dancefloor. The dancefloor wasn't too crowded which made it perfect for me to dance without bumping into someone else. After a while, I couldn't even feel my feet in those high heels, despite the pain I kept on dancing.

Jason Derulo's What If starts booming through the speakers and immediately I felt the urge to sway with my hips. I really love that song. Quickly I look at the huge clock on the wall and notice it was almost midnight. He probably forgot I was here otherwise he would have come looking for me. I shrug away my doubts and relax again, feeling the beat through my core.

"What if...Tell me why isn't that enough..."
I sing out loud, letting my hands roam freely from my body.

At that moment I feel somebody's hands on my hips, his recognizable perfume betrayed him.

At first, I wanted to ignore him as I still was a bit annoyed about how the evening went, but if this would be the last time I'm in his company while the contract still stands, I better take the oportunity to become his fake girlfriend once again even if it's all for show.