Chapter 22

POV Nick

I stare at the people beside us, clenching my jaw. Why is she so annoying all of a sudden? Why does she ask those stupid questions? My happiness is private and it's even something I find hard to think about. I just want to continue my life and stop thinking about everything.

Of course, I'm a lucky man with the wealth I've earned by working hard, but there's also a missing gap in my heart. I'll never be entirely content with my life as it is right now. If she thinks she can interrogate me like she's a shrink, she's wrong. I don't need anybody's sympathy or help. I control my life and only I can judge me.

The question triggers me and the only thing I could answer was I'm content with my life, nothing more. I've never talked about such topics before, not even with Lucy. What's the point of it? It's not like she can change that. It's something I need to take care of myself. So many would dream about the life I have even if it's not perfect.

Suddenly I see Hailey or was it Sofie walking in the restaurant with another woman? Of course, she spots me right away amongst the crowd, her smile vile. Not amused, I whisper to Mila in front of me who had a dreamy expression. "It's showtime."

Mila stiffens at my words and quickly takes a sip from her glass. I look at her in a penetrated stare to warn her.

"Well, well, is it the lovely Nick Donovan who's having a rendezvous? She says with a fake smirk. It's Sofie by hearing her French accent.

"I'm having a splendid time with my girlfriend, thanks for asking," I answer sternly.

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend?" She asked a bit shocked while eyeing Mila.

"Yes, not long, just a month isn't it sweetheart?" I throw the question to Mila with a sweet smile.

"Yes, it's official since the 18th of March actually," Mila answers like a pro. I nod approvingly and gaze at Sofie wondering how long she's trying to disturb us.

"Oh," she utters softly.

"I thought you never wanted a girlfriend." she reminded me, giving me a glimpse of what I might have told her in the past.

"Yes, at first it was, but Mila changed everything," I tell her and take Mila's hand that was resting on the table beside her glass. Her hands were so small in comparison to mine I noticed at first.

"Wow, well, that's great for you I mean." She says in the direction of Mila.

"It is," Mila answers with a sweet smile. Wow, I can't even see she's lying. She's doing a great job of seeming so real and honest. I can't even detect uncertainty.

"I'll let you two alone then, bye Nick," Sofie says before turning on her heels and calling out to a waiter.

I turn my gaze to Mila who's staring back at me. She shakes her hand loose and takes a huge gulp from her wine. I wasn't even aware I still had her hand in mine.

"What's wrong?" I ask, seeing her displeased expression.

"I'm not sure what I'm doing here with you and when I think more about it it annoys me even more." She stated in irritation, gulping from her wine, letting the last drop of alcohol fall in her mouth. I watch her closely, forgetting her little outburst for a moment.

"Can I have another glass of wine, please?" She says to a waiter that crosses our table, her expression serious.

"Would you like the same, sir?" The young boy asked me friendly. I nod shortly, feeling more stressed than I was before entering the restaurant. This should have been a nice dinner, getting to know each...