Chapter 28

The sun hits my skin as I'm trying my best to keep my thoughts in control. On the other side my ex is here with his girlfriend enjoying himself like this is one of the nicest activities he has ever done and beside me is a man who's my fake boyfriend and genuinely enjoying my company at the pool, an activity he suggested.

I couldn't deny Devon hurt me even if I knew we weren't a great match and this would be the best outcome for the both of us. This should be a nice trip to the pool, however, my mind drifts off to my ex and then to my fake boyfriend who's lying beside me shirtless, tanned, muscles displayed for my eyes. How can't you be distracted by this man's perfectly chiseled body?

With a deep sigh, I turn my head to the other side hoping to find someone else to make me occupied.

"Don't you like it here?" Nick asked, annoyance hearable in his voice.

"Of course, I like it here. I love to sunbathe." I admitted and the truth is I do love to lie down in the sun, feeling my body relax from the sun.

"I'm certain that wasn't a sigh of contentment. Tell me what's wrong?" Nick ushered me to give him a good answer.

I turn my head back to him as he lays down with his head resting on his arms. "It's nothing," I tell him in annoyance. I hate it when he sees right through me.

Nick grins at me as he shakes his head a little. "I can't force you, obviously. I thought my charms would work for you as well..."

"You...charming?" I joked and when his eyes grow big and his mouth twitches in surprise I couldn't contain my laughter any longer. This is what I needed.

"Let's go for a swim," I asked him. "You still have to show me you're as good as you admitted." I grin from ear to ear.

"Let's see if you can follow me," Nick smirked and stands up. "Shall we?" He asked with his hand pointed for me to take so I can easily get up.

I nod shortly before taking his hand firmly. He never let loose my hand until we were at the edge of the pool. Of course, he jumped right in but to my surprise, it wasn't a neat dive, it was more boyish, just a fun dive and nothing more.

"Jump," he shouts at me as he comes up from underneath the water, his hair all wet and messy. I swallow hard and make sure to compose.

"I uh, it's too high," I admitted while looking down into the water.

"It's okay. I'll catch you," he said, patiently waiting for me to compose.

I look around and notice nobody is watching. Quickly, I felt vulnerable because this was one of my fears. I'm terrified to fall, especially from heights. It's scary and you don't know the outcome.

"You can trust me, Mila," Nick gently ushered me, sending me a small reassuring smile.

I breathe out and lower to sit on my bum. "I'll push myself off the edge," I informed him, my eyes fixated on his face. I have to be sure he'll catch me no matter what. For some people this is stupid but for me this is important. If he cares for me when I'm scared I'll trust him even more. This creates an even better band.

Nick nods and waits for me to leap. I stare at him, hoping he won't laugh at me because this is absurd to some people.

I push myself off of the edge and land right into his arms. I open my eyes and push my hair out of my face as I see him grinning at me. "You did it," he smiles at me. "I thought you wouldn't jump," Nick admitted softly.

A feeling of happiness hits me like a warm breeze. I jumped and lost control for a few seconds and it all worked out for the better. I did it, overcame my fear of falling and he caught me just as he promised without laughing at my clumsiness.

"I wasn't sure either." I grin and find Nick gazing at me with a look I've never seen before. His eyes burned on my face and when I notice him staring at my mouth I became flustered.

"You did great," Nick says as his hands were still wrapped around my waist while keeping us above water. My eyes wander to his lips as he opened his mouth again. Gently he pushes his body against mine, his eyes wandering from my eyes to my lips before he decides to close the distance between us and plant his lips on mine.

I feel the water splash around us, People shouting however the sound seems to come from afar. The only thing I fully sense and feel is Nick's warm breath on my lips, his wet mouth devouring mine.

The kiss abruptly came to an end as I heard someone calling my name. I withdraw from Nick and look up to see Devon with his girlfriend hand in hand looking down on us. Devon's girlfriend wasn't amused by the look of disgust visible on her face. I get why she's upset because I'm still his ex and yet why does he want to get my attention every time he sees me?

"It's nice to see you again," Devon said after a few seconds of silence, probably because I didn't reply properly by greeting them. Besides, who interrupts a kissing couple? I'm not sure what we are but who does that anyway?

"Hi," I wave awkwardly and almost forgot Nick's presence beside me.

"Do you want him to go?" Nick whispers into my ear. His warm breath tickled my skin. I shake my head slightly because I didn't want this to become a thing when I cross him on the streets.

"I'm glad you can enjoy a day at the pool," I tell Devon while climbing out of the pool, Nick following my move.

"I always love to go to the pool," Devon grins at me before looking at his girlfriend who eyes me suspiciously. What a lying bastard... I grit my teeth but compose as quickly as I could. I turn around for recognition or some kind of distraction from my lying ex. Nick pushed himself up from the edge with so much ease, his muscles already distracting me so nicely.

"It was nice seeing you again," Nick says coldly making sure the last part of the sentence came out a little bit louder than it should be. "Let's go, babe, there's a lovely dinner waiting for you," Nick said seductively and took my hand entwining his strong fingers with mine.

"Bye," I tell them before Nick ushers me to follow him, leaving them no choice but to let us leave.

I think I'm glad he saved me from that awkward moment, however, it feels like Nick wasn't happy with his presence. Is he jealous?

Nick starts packing our things in our bags without uttering a single word. "What's the matter?" I ask him softly as I could feel him being frustrated.

"Do you still fuck him?" He asked coldly without giving me a glimpse.

"What?! Are you serious?!" I shout in shock. Because he kept silent after my outburst I took my bag from the ground and made my way to the entrance of the pool without looking back. If he thinks for one second he can insult me rather than to trust me he can fuck off.