Chapter 30

Dumbfounded, I watch Nick in the door opening from my room. My mouth was wide open, and his face turned into a storm when he saw me packing my things.

"You are mad!" I yelled at him as he just went caveman style.

"You're staying until you've listened to me." Nick stormed into my room, his face serious. 

I swallow hard and cross my arms in defense. I will not let him stroll over me like I'm nobody, even if I signed the stupid contract. I'll make sure I get money by working two jobs to make sure the house will be rebuilt. I can't even comprehend why he would act the way he did. Did I ever give him the feeling of not taking this seriously? He knows well enough what's at stake... My heart rate went sky-high in no time, and my legs started to shake in anger. I wasn't going to let this go so easily, especially not because he wanted me to be obedient the entire time. I'm not his property, and I'll make sure of it; he knows!

"Or what, Nick? I'll never let you insult me again; do you  understand?"I snapped, pointing my index finger toward him.

Nick looked at me for a brief moment, contemplating what he would say or do, or maybe he was just a bit shocked by my outburst. I couldn't even care what he would think of me at this point. He insulted me and hurt my feelings. I'm the most loyal person there can be, and when you doubt my honesty, you're not the person I want to be close with, contract or not...

"It wasn't my intention to insult you; it just came out wrong." He explained with his face tight and his jaws clenched.

"No, but you did hurt me! Maybe I was wrong to trust you and this entire facade we're playing. It's fucking nonsense!" I said it in a quite raspy tone.

I turned my attention back to my luggage when I heard him storming out of the room. I exhaled loudly, forcing myself to concentrate on my breathing to make sure the tension I was holding in for too long could make its way out of my body. I've never imagined it would be like this between us, and for what exactly? Who's he fooling—others or himself? I always kept my questions and curiosity to myself because it was part of the contract and the decency I had for him, but as time passed, I wondered so many times why he did this. It's not like he's an insecure guy and can't get women on his own. He's confident, very good-looking, and smart, so it doesn't make any sense to me.

With my weight on the luggage, I tried to close it when I heard him coming back into my room, holding in his hand some papers. When I got a better look at it, I almost lost all my self-control until he decided to rip it in front of my eyes. I really thought he would let me read some paragraphs from the contract and convince me why I had to keep my word.

"There is no contract, not anymore." He stated this calmly as the ripped parts fell to the ground like snow. 

"That doesn't change the situation where you thought it would be best to hurt me," I told him boldly, as I wasn't planning to let this go so easily. 

"I never needed a contract. This afternoon, I didn't think about the damn contract; this was spontaneous, as I know how you like to swim. I did it for you; that's why I lost it by seeing your ex-boyfriend." He explained, the frustration was still visible on his stern face.

"Why were you so into the contract if you never needed it? It has to mean something to you." I stated.

"No, it doesn't. It was the only way I could keep you close." He said it bluntly after a few seconds, which made me even more curious. Despite feeling vulnerable, I knew if I didn't ask, I would never get a decent answer to it, and then I'd never know...so I swallowed hard before composing myself.

"Why did you want to keep me close?" I dared to ask as I looked up at him, and our eyes locked.

"Because I like you, Mila. I never thought I would, but I like you." Nick admitted it softly while stepping toward me. I shifted from my right foot to the left, not sure how to react right now. He stopped in front of me, and I could only gaze at him because of his response.

"Don't lie to me," I whispered as I watched him closely. "My heart can't take it,"

"I know," he answered, his fingers tracing my cheekbones. "I'm not lying, Mila. I like you for who you are." 

I swallowed by hearing his words and felt a little bit nervous now because this could change a lot. At this point, I had to be honest with myself because I liked him too, even though I wish I hadn't. I'm not madly in love, but he makes me nervous and on edge. There's never a dull moment with him, not to mention his appearance; he's ridiculously handsome. I gaze at the contract that was lying all ripped on the floor, and Nick follows my gaze.

"Although the contract is gone, I promised to help you financially, so I'll keep my word, no matter what happens," Nick informed me with a small smile.

"I don't like you because you give me money." I crossed my arms, looking back up at him.

"So you like me?" Nick jumped upon my answer as soon as he could, hearing me say those words. "You like me?"

Because I didn't directly answer his question, he started tickling me: "Do you like me, Mila Richards?" He asked with a broad smile on his face.

"Stop it!" I yelled in laughter, as I was a very ticklish person, especially when you tickle me on my belly or feet.

"I stop when you say it again," Nick laughed as we both dropped on the bed, him not stopping his attack unless he heard the words he wanted to hear.

"Alright, stop; I like you." I laughed and composed immediately as he freed me from his terror.

"That wasn't so hard, wasn't it?" He gazed at me while freeing my face from my wild hair.

I roll my eyes and just look at him. He seemed almost peaceful now that he had come clean with his feelings toward me and was even more attractive.

"I'm sorry I hurt your feelings; it won't happen again." He explained it to me softly, and it felt genuine from him, which gave me a warm feeling inside. Feelings I never imagined I would get for this guy.

"You're too good for me," he admitted, his eyes traveling back and forth to my mouth and eyes.

"I know," I answered him with a playful smirk. Nick grins back at me as his eyes rest on my lips.

"May I?" he said while his thumb caressed my lower lip.

I take his hand and kiss each finger gently, his breath hitching in his throat.

"Not yet, because now it's for real. You'll have to take me on a real date first, and then we'll see if I'm impressed or not," I answered boldly.