Chapter 34

POV Nick

Yesterday, I was awake for a long time until sleep found me. The evening was so much better than I had expected it to be. I was hoping to have sex, but I never thought she would want me so soon. Seductive play with her was delightful, and apparently she wanted me to. I would have been happy with laying beside her in bed without doing anything, and that's something I've never experienced before. Maybe that's the fucked-up part because I genuinely wanted to get to know her better before diving into bed with her. That's why I couldn't find sleep afterward. What the fuck is happening to me?

On the other hand, she was amazing, gorgeous, and sexy, and I can carry on for hours about the sex we've had.

This felt different, in my opinion, and that's why it was so hard for me to let it go. Trying to analyze everything didn't help me find some sleep, and seeing her naked body beside me didn't help either. She was breathtaking, and I couldn't wait for round two.

As lights shimmered through the white curtains and landed on her innocent face, she seemed even more angelic. When she stares at me with those beautiful brown eyes, it feels like she can touch my soul. That's why it feels even harder for me to be quiet about everything. I swallow hard as I touch the soft skin of her cheeks. She breathes out a sigh before a smirk appears on her face, her eyes still shut.

"I'm not a morning person, so I warn you," the words came from her mouth as she covered her face with the silk sheets.

"I know," I grinned as I playfully pulled the covers from her face again. "You've mentioned that before."

"Nick," she whined, and I couldn't contain my laughter as I wished this moment would last forever. Her being grumpy is the most funny thing I've ever seen. Back at home, I saw her all dressed up and normal in the mornings. She probably naps for an hour before crawling out of bed, ensuring she's awake.

"You need to laugh more," she said grumpily as she snuggled underneath my arm. My arm tingled as she had been sleeping on it for hours now, but I did not care about it. She can use my arm for eternity, for that matter, as long as it makes her comfortable and at ease.

"You too," I retorted and leaned in to kiss her on her forehead.

Mila gently rubs the skin of my upper arms and trails down to touch the skin of my biceps. I cringed as her fingertips touched the scar that reminded me I was a man of flesh and blood.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Mila looked a bit puzzled as to my sudden reaction to her touch.

"It's okay," I answered truthfully.

"Is it still sensitive?" She asked softly while placing the palm of her hand on my chest.

"Yes," I said.

"What happened?" She asked softly. I wished she wouldn't ask further, but if I couldn't tell her everything, maybe I could be honest about one thing about me.

My mind draws me back to the accident. An accident that would change my life. I've never told this to any other girl before, but I knew Mila was different.

"I was ten years old when my father decided to take me with him while he was drunk. My mother and he had multiple fights every day, so it wasn't a surprise that that day I heard them shouting in the kitchen. He must have had enough and thought it would be best to take me with him. My mother tried to stop him from taking me. However, in my opinion, she didn't try her best because, five minutes later, I was inside the car and my mother just watched us leave from the porch. My father was upset; I'd never seen him like that before. Their relationship was toxic, and I always knew they stayed together because of me. Despite thinking it would be better to take his son with him, it was a calculated mistake."

I pause for a moment and sigh while staring at the ceiling. Mila strokes my chest lovingly as she waits patiently for me to carry on.

"He was an experienced driver, but the alcohol in his system gave him wings, so he at least thought. At one point, I really got scared and asked him to slow down, but it was too late. The last image I saw of him was his smile as he looked at me before realizing he had lost control of the car. Police told my mother my father had turned the wheels just at the right moment, or else the truck would have hit my side of the car and I would have been the one lying under the ground."

I see Mila swallow as she stares at me, not knowing what to say.

"I take comfort in knowing he wasn't a perfect father to me, but he loved me and saved me that day," I added before I sat up.

"I'm so sorry," she gushed. "I can't imagine how difficult that must have been for you."

"It was hard. No child has to endure that kind of pain, but life isn't fair. I said while Mila caressed my back.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with all of that. Is that one of the reasons you don't have a great bond with your mother?" She asked gently.

"Yes and no. A part of me will never forgive her for letting me leave and for letting my father leave. As I grew older, my mother was very negative about many things, which irritated me even more. It sometimes felt like she wanted me gone as well because I wasn't the perfect son she wished for. She also had other ideas about my career, my future girlfriend, you know, a whole other perspective, and it's something I will not give her." I told her earnestly.

"As time passed, you began to wonder what their fights were all about. My father was more outgoing and fun, and my mother was stiff, cold, and a total control freak. They were never a great match from the start. As a child, I often wondered if their fights started because of me.

Mila watches me intently before she starts talking. "I believe you figured it out all by yourself, and maybe, as you said before, they weren't a match and were doomed to collide... Whether you're still processing things and hopefully know this wasn't your fault, I do hope you are proud of yourself because look what you've accomplished." She reasoned sweetly.

"I am. Hard work always pays off." I brushed the feeling of emotions away and tried my best to compose.

"You know, I disliked you at first," Mila admitted after a minute of silence, her shoulders relaxing a little more as this declaration must have weighed a huge amount on her shoulders. "And I feel bad about it because I already decided before getting to know you not to trust you. Don't judge a book by its cover." She smirked while shaking her head in shame.

I watched her, and it wasn't entirely her fault. I almost ran her over, so our start was doomed before it started. Especially because I arranged our meeting from the start and it all felt even more like a lie contemplating it... Instead of giving her the reassurance she needed, I answered shortly before getting out of bed.

"I know, and that made me even more frustrated. I could charm everyone right away." I smirked as I walked to the closet.

"Charm me by driving at high speed toward me with your ex in the car? No, thanks." Mila joked at the thought, and I froze. I began to feel more like the person my mother wanted me to become. I was an asshole to her and others, and maybe this was all a huge mistake—bringing her here, having sex with her when there was no trust, only betrayal. I know I've never known what true love is, but I'm sure what we have can't grow because of what I did. Using her to my own benefit was the worst calculated mistake I've ever made in my life and I'll pay for it one way or another.

I had to leave...

"I'm sorry to say this, but there's been issues in the garage that need my attention. You can have breakfast, and I'll send a driver to pick you up, okay?" I rambled as I pulled on some clothes without getting a shower first.

"Do you really need to leave?" She asked in disappointment as she stepped out of bed with the sheets wrapped around her, on her angelic face traces of insecurity.

"Yes," I sighed as I looked at her for a brief moment. It takes all of my power to keep my distance instead of jumping back into bed with her, making sure she knows she's mine. However, she's not mine, and when she finds out her gut feeling was never false, she'll never want to be near me.