Chapter 35

I didn't know what to think about today. Yesterday felt liberating like all our feelings for each other had blossomed into something amazing. The attraction was vivid and palpable, enough for me to almost rip off his clothes this morning.

I felt angry and disappointed. I know that when you've got your own business, there's a thin line between holding your work and keeping it private, but I know for a fact that it is possible. Shaking off the feeling, I sighed loudly before knocking on the door. I wouldn't want him to see me doubting, especially now that his treatment is going well.

"Hi daddy," I smiled as I walked in, seeing him busy cleaning his bathroom.

"Mila," he replied, too surprised. "I didn't know you were coming today." He asked as he threw the cleaning cloth into the bathroom sink.

"I had a day off from work," I answered him as my confusion heightened. Puzzled, I look at the wet floor before his toilet.

"There was this cleaning lady today, and she didn't clean well, so I thought I would do it myself," dad explained, as he must have seen the confusion on my face.

"Oh, okay. Let me help you, dad." I replied with a reassuring smile but stopped in my tracks as he rapidly closed the door behind him.

"No need. I'll take care of it when you leave. I have all day long to clean." He smiled reassuringly.

"So tell me, how was your week?" He asked, trying his best to change the topic.

"Good, I've been working a lot," I answered truthfully.

"You've only worked? How's your roommate doing? Nick was his name, right?

He asks me that question every time. Maybe he's afraid and does not trust Nick with his daughter. Only dad didn't know I had feelings for him, and I would keep that hidden from him as long as I could.

"Yes, dad. The house needs all of my attention; as you know, it's a large house. I do the best I can to keep my job." I answered him. "I'm only staying with him as long as it needs to. When our home is ready, we can go back." I added while taking his cold hand in mine.

He only nodded in response, and his attention drove away to the large window with a view of a large park beneath us. "I'm not sure it's a good idea; I would go home again," he said after a minute of silence.

"Dad, we talked about this," I gently kneaded in his hand.

"No, Mila, you decided for me," he said bluntly, and a feeling of shock overwhelmed me. He never mentioned not going back with me, so I presumed he would want to go home with me. I looked at his face with teary eyes because it pained me that he never thought he couldn't decide. I know I have protected and cared for him for a while now, but I would never let him not have an opinion of his own.

Suddenly, a knock on the door made me compose, and I brushed away a teardrop that had left my eye.

"Come in," my dad said coldly.

Telma walked into the room with a basket full of candy and sweets. Her smile faltered as she saw my distressed face.

"Hello, how are you, Mila?" She asked in concern as she set the basket on the table.

"I'm fine; thanks for asking. How you've been? I heard you can move back into your home next week." I informed her.

"Yes, it's great news. I've missed my home a lot." She said it with a soft smile.

I smiled apologetically at her before asking her about the money. "Did you receive the money I've sent you?" I asked her because from the last conversation we'd had on the phone, I still felt so guilty about everything.