Chapter 5

"What's wrong Mila?" My uncle's voice sounded a bit startled by my outburst.

"That man almost ran over me today. He's a jerk." I hiss angrily.

"Mila," uncle Garry sighs. "If that's what you want, I'll call him now." Uncle Garry says softly.

"Thank you uncle," I say before hanging up the phone.

A feeling of guilt hits me. He had been arranging everything for me and here I am ordering him things before I even started this job. However, the thought of working for that man makes me want to vomit. That man has no decency in his bones, I'm sure of it.

I turn the lights off and breathe out a heavy sigh. Now he needs to find someone else for me to work for...

"Suddenly my phone rings and when I see his number I pick it up. "Uncle?"

"Mila, I think you should better consider his offer. Mister Donovan wants to double your payment if you start working tomorrow." He says. "I've never known one of my clients who wanted to pay so much. If you still don't want to work for him I'll find someone else... but Mila he'll pay you even more than I could ever pay you as my secretary." Garry explains and for a moment I reason with myself and consider this thoroughly. This means I probably don't have to work at two jobs to get everything paid.

I sigh and stop debating in my mind. This is an opportunity I can't pass not with the financial state I'm in. "Okay," I answer shortly.

"You'll do it? Are you sure?" Garry asked, showing real concern through the phone.

"I'm sure, uncle," I tell him with mixed emotions. A big part of me feels like I'm betraying myself for making this decision. It's not like I'm thrilled to work for that man, but I guess when I'll receive my first paycheck I can easily step aside from the bullshit and make it work. I need to make this work for dad.

'Cause he lives near where I live I take my bike and head over to Main Street, the fancy side of Los Angeles County. However, where the property is, the environment is quiet with lots of green. There's a park nearby and when you drive a little further you arrive at the heart of La with its busy streets and glowing economy.
When his penthouse came into view, I swallow hard. I'm still not sure which penthouse he's staying in, but I guess I'll find out within a few minutes.

I lock my bike and make my way to the doorman. The man smiles warmly at me giving me a welcome feeling already. That's nice, I thought to myself.

"Can I help you, miss?" The man says when I'm almost in the doorway.

"Yes, you might. I'm looking for mister Donovan?" I inform the man politely.

"You must be Miss Richards?" The man asked. I nod politely and send him a grateful smile. I peek beside his shoulder and see an enormous hallway decorated with colorful flowers.

"Follow me miss," the man smiles before making his way inside. I follow him on foot and smile at the word miss, like I need to be addressed so formally.

"Please call me Mila," I say in a friendly manner and the man turns around stopping in front of an elevator.

"Okay Mila, my name is Frank. As we are about to see each other frequently I can better give you my name as well." The man grins politely.

"Thank you, Frank." I step passed him into the elevator.

"See you soon, miss, I mean Mila," he corrects himself before pressing a button and leaving me alone in the elevator.

The door closes and I see the button with his name lighted. I swallow and felt a little adrenaline rushing through me, probably because I'm about to meet the man that almost ran over me and offended me multiple times in public. I don't need to like him, I just need to clean his shit and get it over with every single day for two years...