Chapter 4

I'm folding my clothes while my mind drifts off to the conversation I've had with my uncle. "Hey, are you okay?" Ellen asked all of a sudden.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine, just thinking about tomorrow." I say with a small smile.

"Do you know more details about the person you'll be working for?" She asked genuinely interested.

"Yes, his name is Nick Donovan. He's wealthy and just moved from New York. He runs that huge company that just opened last week, they sell and built super expensive cars." I explain to her without giving her a glimpse of my disapproval.

"Do you need to clean the garage?" Ellen asked with scrunched eyebrows.

"No, he just bought that penthouse on Main Street. You know the one nobody couldn't buy because it was way too expensive." I explain to her while folding my pj's.

"Oh, I have heard he's a very wealthy man indeed," Ellen admitted while sipping from her coffee.

"Yes, well, let's hope he will be generous indeed," I tell her firmly.

"You tell me all the details tomorrow." Ellen smiles at me before making her way to the living room to check on dad who's doing his daily gym exercises.

I sigh and watch dad intently. His eyes are fixated on the screen, the woman on television explaining every step as simple as possible. Dad crunches through his knees, doing it ten times before growing mad at the lady on the screen.

He hates doing crunches and yet he's too stubborn to just wait for the next exercise. Ellen assures him right away and I can see him relax again. My dad was never someone who got mad easily. Yes, he was stubborn, but he always remained his cool. I guess it's a part of his brain that's not functioning like it used to.

Suddenly the doorbell rings, and I make my way over to the front door. My uncle greeted me with a wide smile on his face. "I've arranged everything for you, kiddo." He says while entering the house with a piece of paper in his hands. "This is your contract." He lays it on the green table cloth of our table.

"Did you speak with him already?" I question him curiously.

"Yes. He was pleased to hear he could get help from tomorrow." He informs me.

"Garry?" I hear dad calling my uncle from the living room.

"Be right back," he winks at me before making his way to dad for a little chat.

I stare at the paper and seat myself at the table with a pen. I'm reading the contract precisely when dad, Ellen, and Garry join me in the kitchen.

"I'm so glad you've found a job with Garry as his secretary," dad hugs me all of a sudden. I look at my uncle a bit puzzled.

"Thanks, dad. Me too." I brush my hand over his arm in a sweet gesture.

Ellen noticed my worried expression and shifted in no time to standing almost against the wall toward my dad.

"Come on, let's get you refreshed in the bathroom before you make everyone run for their lives." She joked, well knowing my dad loves her humor. He nods leaving the room with a broad smile on his face.

I patiently wait until dad disappears out of the kitchen.

"Uncle?" I say his name in distress.

"Mila, he told me you working with me would make him the happiest man on earth knowing I would keep an eye on you. It's partially the truth, though. You're working for me, but is it wise to tell him now? You know he wouldn't understand your decision to become a maid." Uncle declares.

I sigh. Deep down I know he's right. Dad would be devastated if he would hear I would be working as a cleaning lady instead of something else. Not that he looks down on people who work as a maid, but because he always thought so highly of me. It hurt him I started at Louis' bar as a waitress instead of getting back to school to finish my degree. And in the state, he's in I'm sure he will not understand why I made this choice for us. Dad still believes he has lots of money and thinks he can proceed to work after his so-called vacation.

"It will be alright, Mila. In two years the job will be yours, I promise." Uncle promises me.

"I know uncle. I'm grateful for your help and I will start working tomorrow no matter what. I'm going to rock as a housekeeper." I assure my uncle and at the same time myself.

"Good, that's the spirit." Uncle smiles and kisses the top of my head.

"So what did mister Donovan say?" I ask uncle, curiously. "Does he know I have no work experience?" I talk rapidly.

"No, I haven't told him. He doesn't need to know that, Mila." Uncle responds with a sly smile. "I want to give you a good first expression, not that mister Donovan will think otherwise of you even before you could show your organization skills." He explains.

"Yeah, you're probably right." I smile at him. Who cares if he knows what I did for a living, it's not like we will become the best of friends...

"So, did you read the contract, any questions whatsoever?" Uncle Garry asked gently.

"No, it's all clear to me," I assure him and scribble an elegant M as my paragraph under employee.

"Ok, so mister Donovan still works in his penthouse as his office isn't ready in the garage. He wants you to arrange and organize everything yourself. He will give you a tour when you'll arrive and then you can find him in his office. You need to know his office is off-limits, so you don't need to clean it. I'm guessing he's got some trouble trusting someone so you can forget that room and focus on the rest of the house. You've got the address, right?" Uncle informs me with some details.

"Yes, I know where it is," I answer shortly.

"I told you my clients are rich." Uncle chuckles at my disapproval.

"Hm," I responded coldly, not wanting to make more of a dispute about it. I'll need to learn to adapt to that environment asap as this will be my future. If I'm done cleaning within two years I'll still have to meet them and converse with them as my uncle's secretary. In my mind, I try to assure myself maybe not everyone with money is selfish and arrogant...

When uncle Garry left and dad went to bed, I also nestle in my bed, the covers of my sheets almost pulled over my head. My mind drifts away and I realize I haven't done any research on social media about this man I'm about to meet tomorrow. I take my phone from my white-painted nightstand and begin typing his name on Facebook.

A man in costume appears, and I hiss in anger. "What the F.....No Fucking way!"

What are the odds! This can't be real! That arrogant prick almost ran me over today and now I'll need to work for him! Not a fucking chance!

I dial my uncle's number, feeling my heart pumping from anger again.

"Hello?" I hear my uncle's already sleepy voice on the other side of the line.

"Uncle, I'm not going to work for that man!" I almost shout through the phone and await his answer. He can do whatever he wants, but there's no way I'll be working for him!