06

R  O  S  A  B  E  L  L  E

It's been 5 hours since we left South Africa. I don't know where we are but it doesn't look like we are landing anytime soon, not that I'm complaining.

Demitri and I have been getting to know each other, in his words and I quote, "we'll be spending a lot of time together, might as well get to know each other."

We were currently shopping, for me. In his words and I quote, "Let's do some shopping, I can't have you wearing this... filth anymore."

I couldn't afford any of the stuff, but after some persuading and convincing from his side, I'm shopping, like a normal person.

I was buying essential things, like clothes, shoes, jewelry and underwear.

I bought things like, sanitary pads, body lotions and hair products.

I have already braided my hair, people with afro will agree with me, that it's hard work.

"You know, you can buy more things. Like that necklace you were staring at for too long." He whispered in my ear.

I knew exactly which necklace he was talking about, that necklace is close to about 3 million.

"No. I could never. I can't afford it." I tried denying him again.

"You can't, but I can." He said in a arrogant way.

I looked at him from the corner of my eye. How dare he imply I'm poor. I am but that's not the point.

Side eye,

I grew used to the position we're in. It's rather comfortable and... dare I say it's.. safe.

"What year did you stop learning?" He asked me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, not quite understanding.

"I mean, have you passed senior year?" He asked again.

"If you mean matric, no." I told him honestly. He'll find out either way.

"Matric?" He asked seeming puzzled.

"Yes, grade 12. The last year of high school." I explained.

"Well, why didn't you pass matric? Are you not old enough?" He asked sitting up straight.

"No that's not the problem. I'm old enough I guarantee you. The problem is not my grades either. My.. parents didn't want to apply for an ID, so I wasn't allowed to write my final exams, because I don't have an ID." I explained, twiddling my fingers. I'd hesitated earlier around the word parents.

"Hmm, do you wish to do so?" He asked, I raised an eyebrow. "To write your final exams I mean."

"Yes, but it's not going to be easy. I'd have to adapt a new learning style if I write one in.. Russia, like I'd have to repeat senior year." I told him.

I really didn't mind going to finish school. I liked school, it was the one place I wasn't abused.

I was practically invisible,

"OK then." He said, but it sounded like he wasn't done talking. "What did you want to be, after finishing school?"

"I never really thought about it. At first, I wanted to be a tooth fairy, that was way back. Then I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then I wanted to be a nurse, now recently, I wanted to be a doctor." I told him, leaning on his shoulder.

"Hmm, those are some... interesting choices. Tooth fairy, really?" He asked, chuckling down at me.

"Hey, don't laugh at my childhood dream." I said crossing my arms across my chest.