Chapter 10

Maya walked down the large hallway, holding a lamp on her right hands. There should be candles filling up the hallways to bring light to them but since they wasn't any use of them, none was lit. At the very end of the hallway was a door that was hidden behind a large portrait. She glanced around the hallway first before pushing the portrait away, revealing the door. With a creak, she pushed the door open and a flight of stairs came into view.

      The stairs led down to the basement. Holding the lamp firmly in her hands, Maya took in a deep breath and began walking down the steps, the only source of light coming from the lamp. She soon arrived at one of the doors and knocked on it. Receiving a reply, she pushed the door and walked in. Dexter was sitting at the edge of the bed, his face filled with worry. He relaxed visibly when he saw her.

     " I'm sorry, I hope you're not too uncomfortable? I had my Nanny clean this place in preparation for this but it might not be enough." She asked as she walked in. They were a few candes lit and it was quite spacious but it was bare of any decorations. Just a plain room with a bed at the corner. Maya pursed her lips in displeasure. She didn't like that he was here.

     " I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me. I've been through worse things." He said. Maya didn't refute his words. In the dim lighting, Dexter's eyes seemed to be glowing. Maya paused, enthralled.

      "Gone already?" Dexter asked, snapping her out of her thoughts. She nodded.

     " Yes. They've already gone. A bit of a let down of I may be honest, I had expected them to completely ransack the villa in search of you. Instead, the crown prince just spoke to me about you."

     Dexter's brow perked up in surprise. " Darian spoke about me?" That was surprising.

     " He did. He mentioned that he didn't believe you were dead because your body was never found. He also added that you were attacked because they were evidences everywhere and wanted to find you before your attackers did." Maya stopped, her brows furrowed in thought. " To be honest, I was tempted to tell him you were alive. He looked really concerned."

      " You didn't though. Did you?" Dexter sounded apprehensive. Maya shook her head, going ahead to join him on the bed where he sat."

     " I didn't. "  She replied. Dexter let out a sigh of relief.

   " I'm sorry if I'm being too bothersome but this question has been on my mind for a while now. Why are you two so different? You both look nothing alike  and the aura around you is different as well." " You don't have to answer if you don't want to, of course." She quickly put in.

      Dexter chuckled, surprising Maya . In between that chuckle, was a sigh. " It's pretty obvious already. We don't share the same mother." He announced, his expression turning grave. " He was the son of the queen while I was just the child of a mistress. But it was obvious who our father favored more."

     " You..." Maya said. He nodded, his jaw clenching.

    " He spent more time with me than he did with Darian. He personally taught me while Darian was riddled with different scholars."

     Maya could guess where this was going to. " He probably became jealous of you."

     " If he was, he didn't let it show. He always acted nice when he was around me . Things worsened when..." He trailed off, his eyes darkening. Maya reached out to hold his hands. He let out a breath. " It only worsened when my father announced that I was most eligible to become King in front of Royal court. He was present." Dexter grew rigid, his eyes growing frosty at the memory. " That's when I began to see the signs of hostility."

       Maya gasped softly, her eyes widening. Still, she felt pressed to ask the next question that was bothering her. " Do you think..." She began, licking her lips. " Do you think he was the one who sent assassins to try and kill you?"

       He stood up from the bed, gingerly pacing around the dark room, hands on his chin." I have my suspicions but I can't be too sure. I did receive my handful of enemies after that announcement. But yes, he's probably at the top of the list." He stopped, staring ahead. " I don't think he believes I'm dead. If he can't find me, he'll try to draw me out."

     Maya's heart was racing for him. The palace may be more scary than she had originally imagined. " What are you going to do now?" She whispered.

     " I can't do anything else, other than wait it out. I lost a handful of people due to that attack and heavens knows how many more have died back home. I need to know what his next course of action will be."

     Maya's bit her lips despondently. There was little she could do to help him out. " I wish I could be of help." She let out sadly.

     " You're already enough help...." He said, cutting her off. She looked up at him.  " You saved my life. That st least counts as something. And you're hiding so I don't get found. " It doesn't seem like a lot but for me, it's monumental."

     Maya glowed st his words but she was still worried. " It means we can't let our guard down yet, am I right?" She asked and he nodded.

      " Most definitely not. I still have to stay here for a few more days till we can be sure he's no longer looking."

       " You don't hate it here? It's so dark and gloomy..." she trailed off at the smile on Dexter's face.

      " If it keeps me alive, I don't mind staying in here for a few more days." He told her.

     She pouted, obviously displeased." In that case, there's nothing I can do to change your mind. I'll let you know if I hear anything."

      " I would appreciate that very much." He replied. She stood up on her feet, adjusting her dress

     " I'll visit often too...." She promised. He nodded his thanks. " Take care of yourself." She whispered softly .

     " I will."

     Taking a deep breath, she walked out of the room, closing the door quietly being her.

  🙃🙃😉