Chapter 14

The main story begins!!!!....

( Back to the present)

      Maya eyes widened as she remembered and it only grew wider till it felt like they would pop out of their sockets. Dexter's fingers still under her chin, his lips twitched on seeing the reaction. She reeled backwards, her mouth wide open in shock.

     " Dexter!" She screamed before clamping her hands over her mouth, stupefied. Dexter allowed his lips to stretch into a smile, his eyes glowing.

      " You remember." He said, his voice low.

        Maya's heart began thrumming. " Dexter!!" She repeated, still finding it hard to believe. Oh heavens...! Oh heavens!! How did she not see it!? How did she not recognize him!?!

       She stared at him again, her eyes clear. Now that she remembered, everything had changed. The once intimidating man didn't look so... Intimidating anymore. He still had the aura around him yes, but he didn't frighten her anymore.

       He walked closer to her, running her hands through hair before resting on her cheeks..." How could you forget that?" He asked gently.

      Maya stuttered, her eyes darting around frantically. " I..." She began and cut herself off almost instantly. She completely forgot all about it! Her cheeks burned in embarrassment. " It wasn't my intention!" Adding quickly, " in my defense, living in that palace was much harder than I had imagined it to be!!"

       It's been five years, so many things have changed. She wasn't sure if he had as well. Would he kill her for not remembering? She saw how he killed her family without batting an eyelid. Her body shook at the memory. " I'm sorry..." She began to say.

     He waved her off. " I'm not angry." He said softly. Maya snapped her head up to look at him, startled.

     " Y-you're not?"

     He shook his head. " Why would I? " A brows furrowed a bit. " A little sad but not angry. What matters is that you remember now." He looked away. " It would have been terrible if you didn't though..." He muttered under his breath but she heard all the same.

       With the knowledge, came more clarity. " Is that why you asked me to marry you?" She asked. He nodded, looking sheepish.

      " Yes" he replied. As an afterthought, added. " You agreed."

      Maya's head felt like it was going to explode. She'd only agreed to the marriage because she was desperate to get out of her family's control. To think he had completely different thoughts...!?  It was still so hard to imagine. She'd been expecting a completely different first night with the highness. Still, she was glad he didn't do it because he hated her or wanted to make her suffer.

      She groaned, facepalming herself as she remembered how they met. " You were not supposed to see me like that!..." she murmured to herself, embarrassed.

      She heard him chuckle and peeked at him through her fingers.  " It's okay, our first meeting wasn't that great either. If I remember correctly, I was almost dead. You saved my life."

     Maya stared at him, confused. Are they comparing meetings now? This is not what she came here for. She glanced at him, unable to keep the realization from her face.  It's their first night together. To think she was scared out of her mind before walking into this room. That feeling had long dissipated.

       Dexter seemed to be thinking the same thing as his eyes darkened, his gaze turning smoky. Maya felt goosebumps break out of her skin, her cheeks burning up.  He walked closer to her, his scent enveloping her, making her lightheaded. Gosh, but he was so tall now. She had to strain up her neck to look at him.