Chapter 18

She had fainted.

      Lifting her from the ground, he stopped anyone who tried to offer their help in carrying her. Taking her bridal stlyle back to his chambers, eyes glued to her face, he started noticing things he didn't see before. She was still as beautiful as ever but she wad a lot thinner now so she weighed almost nothing. His hands tightened around her midriff as he strode to his chambers, barking out orders from the side to have Rosa, the headmaid in his chambers.

     He arrived at his chambers and placed her on the bed, Opening the windows so he could let fresh air in, He went back to her side to help undress her but found it confusing so he gave up. Just then, a knock came on the doors and after giving approval, the person behind walked in. It was Rosa.

     She walked closer. "You called on me, Your Majesty." Rosa announced, her head bowed.

     He took a step away from Maya, her gaze still on her face. " Get her out of this clothes."

       "What happened?"

       "She fainted." He said, his voice cool. Rosa immediately swung to action, undoing the ropes and buttons of the clothes. Before long, the dress came undlme and she was left in just her chemise. Rosa proceeded to remove her jewelries before placing her properly on the bed.

       " How is she?" He asked, an edge to his voice.

        " She's fine, Your Majesty. She's just unconscious. She'll be awake soon. " Rosa explained.

        He started to nod but paused when he caught a look at her legs. His brows scrunched, he couldn't help but ask. "What are those?"

     Rosa flinched but she had no choice but to answer anyway. " I believe those are whip marks, Your Majesty." She let out solemnly.

      Dexter stiffened, then lowered himself to have a closer look. Indeed they were whip marks all over her legs and they ran up to her thighs! A muscle in his jaw twitched but he pulled back, not saying anything. Rosa managed to peek a look at him and froze. His face was an inscrutable mask but his light-grey eyes had gone several shades darker.

      " You can leave now. " He murmured, his voice thick. Rosa promptly bowed.

       " Yes, Your majesty. Is there anything else you would need?"

        " I'll summon you if I need anything else."

        " Yes, your majesty. Excuse me." She muttered and the next thing Dexter heard was her receeding footsteps, followed by the gentle close of the door. Then, silence.

          Dexter remained standing, waiting for her to wake up.
.
.
.
        Maya took the first few steps to consciousness, her head pounding. Her eyes fluttered open, her gaze landing on the dark, silvery design of the walls. She sighed, the sight weirdly familiar.

        What happened? She wondered as she sat up. Grabbing her throbbing head with her hands, she groaned. She froze when she saw someone at the edge for the bed, staring at her. It was Dexter.

      " What happened?" She voiced out, her voice hoarse.

       " You fainted." He stated. Maya blanked at his words before it cleared in understanding. That's strange, I usually wait till I'm alone before my body gives up on me.  But then, she's no longer in her palace.

      Coughing a little, she ran her hands through her hair, disheveling it. Dexter stood up from the edge of the bed, getting her a glass of water. Stretching it towards her, he nudged her to take it. Maya collected it from him, nodding her thanks. She took a few gulps from it before passing the cup back to him. He placed it on the bedside table before drawing a chair closer to seat. Staring at her with those silvery orbs of his, Maya held her breath.