Chapter 49

Maya was pushed to one of the rundown tents at the far end of the campsite. Stumbling to the ground, Maya bit back a groan as she hissed, pain searing through her.  The tent smelled awful and if it wasn't because there was nothing to retch up in her stomach, she would have vomited there and then. She picked herself up and tried to run out of the tent, but there were guards stationed in front of it. The moment they saw her, they shoved her back in, making her land back on the ground with a thud. Not wanting to incur their wrath, she decided to stay back.

       Slumping to the ground, Maya tried to hold back her tears but they slipped out of her eyes and soon her body was racking with sobs. She bit her trembling lips, clutching her hands together. I'm so scared, she muttered to herself over and over again. This place was riddled with men and there was no chance of escape even if she tried.

        As she cried, questions arose in her mind once again. What do they want from her but most importantly, how is Dexter?!
.
.
.
      Back at the palace, the whole of the castle inhabitants had grown terrified. The King was no longer their king but a half-crazed man. It had been that way since the queen's kidnapping. The palace has been safely protected but not her. As a result, everyone was walking on eggshells around him.

     Dexter stood in his throne room,  watching as a soldier came to give his report. Geoffrey stood far away from him, watching the scene unfold from a distance. "Have you found her?" He asked in a uncharacteristically calm voice. The soldier shuddered as he shook his head.

       "No, your majesty. But..." He started to say when he was cut off by a hand grabbing his throat, pressing on it.  The soldier coughed, struggling for air as he flailed his legs. He was soon slammed to the nearest wall, knocking out the remaining air of out of his chest.

      Dexter glared down at the writhing soldier who was already turning red in the face. In a scathing voice, he muttered. "Find her. If you don't find her alive and well, I'm killing everyone in the palace, the kingdom and then myself. Do you understand?" He asked.

      The soldier nodded hurriedly, desperate to get out of the king's chokehold. Almost immediately, Dexter pulled back and the latter fell to the ground, coughing.

      "Now go and look for her and don't return until you find her." He ordered just as coldly.

      "Yes, Your majesty." The latter wheezed, touching his forehead on the ground. He picked himself back up and scurried out of the king's presence.

       Geoffrey swallowed nervously, glancing at the king. He looked composed... Almost. His hair was already in disarray, thanks to the countless times of he had spent, running through them. He looked like he was on the verge of loosing his mind.

        Though he had been the one to tell them to stand back when the queen was in danger, he had immediately ordered for her to be looked for the second she was dragged out of the palace grounds. They had compiled immediately only for them to be met with another counter attack, stopping them from going further.

        Geoffrey shook his head, taking a step closer. They should have attacked Nicholas when they had the chance but the king didn't allow it, not when the queen's life is on the line. Now they don't know where to start looking for her.

       "Why are you here?" Dexter asked, finally noticing the other person in the room. Geoffrey bowed his head, stretching out a sealed parchment. His voice was low as he spoke, wary of the king.

        "We received this not too long ago, your majesty. It came from a messenger bird." He announced.With soundless steps, Dexter approached Geoffrey, snatching the letter from him. He tore it open, immediately reading the contents.