Chapter 42

A little wicked– Valerie Broussard

(Two days later)
     It was the day of the execution, Maya stood in front the mirror, watching as the maids dressed her, a grim look on her face. She was wearing a red velvet gown that was  lined with gemstones and above her head, a crown was in place. She looked ready.

     She wasn't sure if Dexter would be showing up and frankly, she didn't ask him. She knew how hard it would be to do this alone but she had been worried about his health. A knock came on the door, interrupting her thoughts. It opened, Geoffrey walking in.

   "Everything is ready your majesty." Geoffrey announced with his head bowed. Maya regarded him with a nod of his head, her body tensing. Wrapping a cloak around her body, she started out of the chambers, her maids lining up behind her.

.
.
.
     Fleurie was close to passing out. Staying in the dungeon for the past three days without food or water had pushed her to the edge and now she wondered if Maya just wanted her to starve her to death in here.

    She'd been plagued with nightmares and no one had come to see her since she's been locked up in here. As time passed she'd been terrified of what Maya would do it her.  She didn't know if The king was dead yet, but since there's hasn't been an uproar about anything, she figured he would still be alive. And there was no way to know since nobody was telling her anything.

    Lying motionless on the ground, she stared ahead her gaze unseeing. It was the third day and she was at her wits end. Her throat burned from thirst and her bodys was weakened. The screaming had done her no good. Her eyes began to droop when she heard footsteps approaching. With the little strength left in her, she sat down, waiting for whoever it is to come nearer.

    She heard the sounds to chains rattling and soon the door swung open. Two heavily built soldiers walked into the tiny room, filling up the space. She glanced up at them, too weak to say anything. "The queen has ordered for you to be brought out."  One of them said.

    Fleurie had started to feel relieved when she saw the impassive look on their faces. One of them walked up to her, before lowering himself to remove her from the bound chains. They dragged her to her feet, leading her out of the dungeons. For the first time in three days, she breathed fresh air. She was glad for it but something kept nagging her that it wouldn't last long.

     The air was chilly and not a single person was in sight. Fleurie shivered from the cold as she was being dragged along.  She soon realized they weren't taken her to the throne room or anywhere near the palace for that matter, rather it was to an open field at the back of the palace. They led her to an ugly looking carriage and bound her up like a criminal once more. Placing her in the middle of them, they started to move.

    When she arrived at the venue they were taking her too, Fleurie felt her blood run cold, all the color draining from her face. She started struggling but no matter how much she tried, she couldn't break free from the soldiers dead grip on her. There were a lot of people there and her heart began pounding, waves of nausea hitting her.

     People gazes were settled on her as she walked and she kept her gaze on the ground, too ashamed to look up. Fleurie's heart dropped to the ground as she gazed at the setup, almost passing out.

      Just ahead of her, was Maya immaculately dressed in a red gown, a crown above her head. She looked more imposing than Fleurie remembered. The king wasn't with her. The dread in her multiplied. Fleurie swallowed, her body trembling. She should have just died in the dungeon.

    "Bring the prisoner forward." Maya called out in a cold, calm voice. She was pushed forward by the guards that accompanied her.

     "No! No please!!! You can't do this!' Fleurie screamed as she was being dragged to the center of the podium. She was forced to kneel down. Murmurs broke out immediately as people began pointing fingers, whispering to themselves. Tears left her eyes like waves, shame eating her up.