Chapter 59

Playlist: Those eyes–New west.
Chasing cars– Tommee Profitt ft, Fleurie
Only for you– Tommee Profitt ft, Fleurie.

(A month later)

      Normalcy finally settled back to the kingdom after Gavin's death. The Royal family focused on the duties important to them and assumed their roles in governing the kingdom and the ones they had undoubtedly conquered. Maya quickly realised that being a queen wasn't as easy as she had imagined it to be. Apart from managing the castle and it's many workers, she also had to see to the foreign dignitaries that came to see the king. Since it was still winter, there were very little banquets held in the castle but once spring arrived, things would change drastically.

       As exhausting as her job was, Maya barely felt tired from it due to the support she had from Dexter. He was patient with her, taking his time to explain things to her and hiring the best hands. She's now more assertive and her decision making skills had improved during that short period. A new love had grown and she had always caught herself doing her duties with passion she never knew existed. Though the couples barely saw each other once they parted ways in the morning, Dexter always made it up to her by occasionally taking her for walks and having dinner with her. It had become her favorite part of the day.

       Maya stared at the ledger in front of her, grabbing her head as she leafed through the pages. There were so many things to do before spring arrives, she had to finish documenting all the expenses she had incurred and possibly write a new budget. Once spring arrives, Maya had planned to host a lot more banquets to solidify her position as queen and get to meet the many nobles that lived with Madonia. She'd been sitting behind a desk for the whole day and she was already tired.

      "It's okay. I can do this!" Maya muttered to herself and she fisted her hands in determination. With a renewed vigor, she made to continue her work but soon got distracted, looking out the window. It's almost sunset, Maya thought to herself as she saw the sun at the horizon. Her hands paused in her writing and she spent a while staring at it. Dexter had been saying something about winter coming to an end soon but she's yet to see it. It was still so cold and dry. A smile hit her lips as memories filled her head. So many things had happened these past few months.

        From a forgotten princess to the Queen of one of the most powerful kingdom in the continent. All from a single act of kindness years ago. What had supposed to be a price for damnation became her saving grace and surprisingly in the middle of it, she had found a man who loved her to bits, she couldn't get luckier than this. A knock came on the door, interrupting her. "Come in." She called out to whoever was behind it. The door opened and Dexter walked inside. Maya's stomach fluttered on seeing him.

      "Hey... Are you busy?" He asked as he walked towards her and Maya shook her head, closing the books before her.

      "No, I was almost rounding up anyway." She answered, smiling up at him.

      "It's not too difficult, is it?" He asked, worry tinging his voice.

       "Nothing I can't handle." She replied, placing her hands on her chin. "Why are you here?"

       "I wanted to ask if you would like to go oms walk with me." He said as she sat down on the desk, staring down at her.

       "Of course! Wait, let me get my cloak." Maya said as she jumped to her feet, going to retrieve her cloak from the hanger where it was placed. Placing it around her body, she rushed up to him. "I'm ready now!"

       Dexter nodded before helping her arrange the cloak properly on her shoulders. "There." He murmured. Then he held her hands, "Come on." He said, standing up. Maya trailed behind him, warmth seeping into her body from where he held her. He led her out of her study and to the hallway and their walk began.