Chapter 57

Maya woke up to the harsh sunlight streaming into the room. Blinking slowly, she adjusted herself, trying to get back to sleep. Noticing the arm wrapped around her stomach and the bare chest behind her back, a smile hit her lips. Last night... Her body warmed at the thought. She opened her eyes again after a while and this time, they settled on the hourglass at the far end of the room. Very slowly, her eyes widened. They've overslept! Alarmed, she turned around to wake Dexter up but the latter just pulled her closer, snuggling deeper to sleep.

      "Come on, Dexter! We overslept! It's almost noon!" She groaned as she pushed up his chin. He murmured something about not getting out of bed early today but didn't open his eyes. She tried to move away from him but froze, noting that every part of her body ached. She bit back a groan but it still escaped her lips as she collapsed on the bed, staring at Dexter's face.

       He eventually opened his eyes and glanced down at her, and she watched as they lighted up. "Good morning." He murmured, his voice gruff. She wanted to frown but her lips broke into a smile instead.

      "Good morning." She murmured, averting her eyes. He started to run his free hand through her hair,  resting it on her cheeks.

       "How do you feel?" He asked as he played with the tendrils that stuck to her face.

      "Sore." She replied, finally noting how hoarse her voice had gotten. No thanks to all that moaning. Her cheeks heated up at the thought and she bit her lips.

     "Sorry about that." He muttered, but his eyes were twinkling. Pulling her even closer, he smiled, revealing his dimple. Maya stared at him, awestruck before smiling back at him, unable to help herself. He continued to run his hands through her hair, gently caressing it. "You look beautiful today." He began. "You've always been beautiful, you just look different today."

       "Thanks. It's because I'm covered in your love bites." She replied, her voice laced with sarcasm.

      His eyes finally trailed down at her words and they widened. "I did that?!" He sounded surprised, as he touched the reddened areas on her neck. "Well, you covered me in scratches." He countered gently.

      It was Maya's turn to chuckle. She turned away from him, looking up at the ceiling. "We already overslept. Aren't you planning on getting out of bed soon?"

     "Of course I am. Come on, let's get you cleaned up." Wrapping the sheet around her body, Dexter made to sit. He bellowed for the guards and they rushed into the chambers. Ordering for them to call on the maids, he watched as they rushed out.

     Gingerly, Maya sat up on the bed, gently caressing her body. It was covered in hickeys alright, the memories of last night still fresh in her mind. She couldn't believe she had been so brazen. Dexter had already stepped out of the bed, picking up his cloak and the rest of their discarded clothes.

     The maids soon arrived with buckets of hot water and after changing the sheets and airing out the chambers, he ordered them to leave. When she looked at him in confusion, he muttered. "I'll be bathing you today."

    She blushed and let him carry her into the tub where he began to wash her, gently massaging her sore muscles in the process. Of all times she likes to spend with Dexter, this has to be her favorite. He carefully tended to her and by the time he was done with washing, she was already feeling drowsy, her eyelids drooping. He helped her out of the bath, combing out her hair and feeding her the meal that was brought in.

     "That's more like it," Maya muttered contently as she ate. He smiled at her. "Took you long enough."

      "Hey..!"

     "What about you?" she asked when she saw him wrap his robe around his body.

     "I'll get ready in my chambers," he said as he walked up to her. "We'll talk when I get back, okay?" He said, kissing her forehead. Maya nodded, letting out a small smile. She watched him leave before collapsing on the bed, a grin breaking out on her lips. The ache on her body momentarily forgotten, all she could feel was the giddiness from last night and the tenderness Dexter had treated her with this morning. 

     Wrapping her hands around herself, she smiled till her cheeks hurt, already she couldn't wait to see him again.
.
.
.
       Time passed slowly but soon enough evening arrived. Maya had gone back to his chambers, where she spent most of the time, reading and sleeping. Just like he promised, Dexter returned early and looked glad to see her back in his chambers.  He immediately peeled off his ceremonial wear, joining her on the bed, and placing his head on her chest. Maya immediately began patting his curls, reveling in their new closeness.

      She asked him about Gavin's trial and waited for him to speak. Taking in a deep breath, Dexter began speaking. They were finally having the conversation that had been long overdue.

       "To be honest, I don't know what to do with him," Dexter said.

        "You don't?"

       Dexter nodded. " I know he serves punishment daily but as for his sentence, I don't know what to do. It's why I've been delaying it all this while."

       Well, she did know what to do. Biting her lips, she murmured.  "Do you mind if I took over instead?"

       "Really?"

       "Well, I did promise that I would be the one to end him when I was kidnapped." She quietly let out. She felt Dexter stiffen but he didn't say anything.

       "It won't be too much work?"

      "Hardly. I'm still angry you know? I just couldn't do anything all these while because you weren't talking with me. I needed to clear that up first."

      "Yes, I'm sorry about that. I didn't know how to approach you afterwards. I didn't even ask you about what you had gone through. It must have been scary." Though his voice was gentle, Maya could sense the angry undertone. A small smile hit her lips.

    "I had to trust that you'll come to save me. And you did. But you're right. It was scary. I've never felt so helpless. Now I know why.". Her voice trailed off as her pats lessened to a stop. 

    "In a way... I'm glad I didn't know about the pregnancy before that happened. It would have stopped me from doing what I did to survive. But then, I also wish I didn't lose it." She turned Dexter so he was looking at her. "Which is why, Gavin has to pay for that." She stated, staring into his eyes. Dexter pressed his lips into a thin line, his eyes darkening in rage. He soon settled back to her laps.

     "You're free to do whatever you want with him." Came Dexter's low voice after a while. Maya felt a thrill of pleasure at his words and she resisted the urge to fist her hands together.

    "Thanks." She whispered, kissing his hair. She felt his tension dissipate and he soon let out a yawn, rubbing his eyes.

     "Aren't you going to eat?" She asked when she saw his eyelids drooping. He shook his head, wrapping a hand around her waist as he snuggled closer.

     "Not hungry. Just tired." He murmured, sounding sleepy.

     Though her legs ached, Maya couldn't pass up a chance to watch Dexter fall asleep in her arms. She resumed with patting his hair, watching the gentle rise and fall of his chest and subtle breathing. He soon fell asleep, the events of the night finally catching up to him.

     As Dexter drifted off in her arms, Maya felt her earlier elation get replaced with righteous anger. Her fingers curled protectively around his neck and she let all the bitterness she had locked down brim to the surface. When she opened her eyes, all she saw was red.

          Time for vengeance.

Thanks for reading!
See you in the next chapter 🙈🙈🙈
Oh... And thanks for the 100 followers!