Chapter 32

Exactly the way Dexter had commanded, the results for the investigation came rolling in. Geoffrey stood before the king very early in the next morning, a scroll in his hands. Dexter had his chin on his hands, his expression grim.

     "Bring it here." He ordered, his voice cool as ice. Geoffrey nodded, briskly walking over to the king and passing over the scroll.

     "These are the list of the names of the people behind the in queen's set up." Geoffrey said as he handed it over.

      Dexter barely him spared him a glance as he rolled the scroll open, briefly running over the names. " Are you sure about this?" He finally asked after moments of silence.

     "Definitely, your majesty." Geoffrey replied, unnerved by the king's unnatural calmness. The king nodded, placing the scroll on the table.

      "What about the search?"

      "We are closing in on the knight, your majesty. He seems to be here in Madonia." Geoffrey replied.

      The king's eyes narrowed. " Well, find him." He grated out, his muscles tensing.

     "I will, Your Majesty." Geoffrey replied.

     "Summon everyone whose name is on the scroll here right now except Fleurie. You're dismissed."

     " Yes, your majesty." Geoffrey replied before bowing and walking out of the king's study.
.
.
.

      Fleurie paced around her room, gnawing at her lips as she did so. She found it impossible to relax after completing her plans. After all her meticulous planning, the results she had hoped for wasn't the one she received. The king's trust about Maya doesn't seem to have wavered a little bit. And now she was terrified of being caught. Already the king had summoned most of her accomplices. Being in the dark was threatening to drive her to madness.

      Fleurie tried to collect herself, taking several deep breaths to calm her racing heart. It wouldn't do well to be afraid, she needs to put on a brave front if she's in front of the king so she can deny everything. She did a good job hiding her tracks, there was no way the king is going to find out that she's the one behind the attack. That's it, deny everything.

      Such was the resolve Fleurie had until a knock came on the door and a guard walked in. " The king summons you." He announced, making Fleurie freeze. She forgot how to breath for a while. She just kept staring at the guard, her face as white as snow. Finally, she collected herself, swallowing nervously.

     " Give me a moment please, I need to get ready." She said, her voice trembling. The guard simply nodded, not moving from where he stood. With shaky hands, Fleurie tried to make herself presentable. Once she was done, she walked out of her room. The guard led her to the king's chambers, oblivious of Fleurie's turmoil.

     When she arrived at the king's study, she was terrified to see Agatha, Lisa and the Royal accountant on their knees before the king and they looked pale with fear. He had their back on them but the tension radiating off him was enough to make her stomach hurl. She quickly put on an impassive face and looked at the king.

     " You summoned me, Your majesty." She called out, her tiny voice trembling. Gosh, but this was even worse than standing before her father. A million times worse. The guard she came with was still in the room.

     " Take all of them to the dungeon. I'll deal with them later."  The king ordered, not looking at them. Fleurie's heart dropped to the bottom of her shoes on hearing the command and she was so close to passing out. The dungeon?

       Their pleas rung out almost immediately at the order but the king paid them no heed. It was clear he was done with them. The guard forced them all out and soon it was just her and the king left. He went back to his seat, fixing her with an artic gaze. Fleurie began sweating, tremors racking her from time to time beneath her clothes. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't stay in control of her body.