Chapter 23

" Compile a list of the people who worked in Gegoria's Royal palace while she was there and kill them all." Dexter announced to his commandant very early in the next day while he was study.

       Geoffrey snapped his head to look at the king, confused. " W-why?" He stuttered out, surprised.

     " Those people hurt the one they were supposed to be protecting. They do not deserve to live." He replied calmly, his eyes still on the scroll before him.

      The order didn't make sense to Geoffrey. Why would the king want them all dead?  " But, your majesty! You can't just kill innocent people like that!" He replied, trying to make the King see reason.

      Dexter glanced at him, his eyes cold. " They became guilty the moment they laid their hands on Maya and treated her the way they did." He replied.

      Geoffrey stood there in shock seeing the king was serious with his order. This is strange, the King has never been this reckless since his mother's death.

      He wanted to argue more but seeing the resolute look on the king's face, clamped his mouth shut. He bowed his head.

      " Your wish is my command." He muttered beneath his breath, bowing his head. He stepped out of the study, closing the door behind him.

     His order didn't make sense he knew, but he had spent the last night thinking of how different Maya was now. So many things must have happened that he wasn't aware of it.

      Especially the scars. His eyes darkened in rage as he remembered, his hand paused in his writing, his body tensing. He would never know the extent of their damage to her.

       Anyone who tries to hurt her, before or now would pay direly.

.
.
.
     Maya woke up the next day after a night good rest. filled with vigor and determination.  She wanted to go and learn everything there was to learn about being a good queen. Once again, Dexter wasn't there when she woke up but she quickly realised that he must have begun his work.

      The maids came to her chambers and after helping her bath, served her breakfast.  After filling her stomach with a hearty meal, she immediately went to the library in the palace. The she picked up every book that talked about the duties of a  queen and settled down to begin reading.

     They weren't a lot of duties attached to it. They were majorly just to support the king in his decisions, host banquets and bare heirs. They was also the function to manage the palace while she was at it.

      Except Maya didn't like people and she detested banquets. Remembering her debutante and how she was ridiculed by her half-sister, Maya hardly attended any banquets unless it was absolutely compulsory.

       She quickly dismissed that and focused on the next important duty. Overseeing the affairs of the palace. It didn't seem to hard at first but Maya started studying on it and saw how complicated it was. It involved a lot of management, spending  and instructing of every single worker in the palace.

      How is she supposed to go through with this?  Does it means she has to be nice to all of them? She grimaced. She wasn't that much of a good person. Well, she was going to start somewhere.

       Maya groaned, huffing out a breath. Ruffing her hair, she stared at the book before her. This is going to be hard.
.
.
.
      " Where's the queen?"  The King asked one of the maids that passed by him as he walked down the hallways. The maid stopped, replying him that she was in the library. He nodded, dismissing her. The maid bowed and left.  He missed her already, he wanted to see her. This is stupid, you were with her all night, his subconscious reminded him. That didn't matter, he said to himself as he headed to the library.