Chapter 45

Maya and Dexter returned from their walk after a while. Unfortunately, they couldn't retire together as Dexter was summoned by his personal aide to attend to some urgent issues that had sprung up,  So maya had to go to the chambers alone.

     She was all smiles as she finished preparing for the night. It had been more than she had imagined. It felt so magical. Dexter loved her. She'd always known it but hearing him admit it had almost made her cry. After having her dinner and bathing, she'd planned to wait for Dexter but tiredness soon had a hold on her and she fell asleep instead.

     She awoke to the feel of someone watching her a while later. Rubbing her eyes open, she glanced around the chambers, her eyes stopping at the Dexter.  He stood at the edge of the the door, looking lost in thought. She sat up on the bed, about to smile at him when she froze. There's something wrong. There's something terribly wrong.

      "Everything alright?" She finally asked when the silence became unbearable. Dexter glanced at her, a hint of surprise crossing his features.

     "Did I wake you?" He asked as he walked towards her. She noticed he was still dressed in his ceremonial clothes, meaning it hadn't been long since he arrived. It was already late at night.

     "I woke up on my own." She replied, staring intently at him. He nodded and methodically began to remove his clothes.

      "You don't look it." Maya replied, then furrowed her brows. "What did Geoffrey tell you?" He paused, his body tensing.  Something in his demeanor told her he didn't want to say it. Instead he removed the rest of his clothes and came to join her on the bed, laying his head on her shoulders. Closing his eyes, he let out a sigh.

      Maya stiffened, lost for words. She began patting his curls, staring at him with a confused look on her face.

     "I'll sort it out." He finally said, his voice low. Then, as if to reassure himself, added "I'm fine."

      She didn't like that he isn't telling her anything but there's little she can do when he gets like this, so she kept quiet. Eventually he raised his head up, staring at her. Running one hand through her hair, he began to speak, a smile growing on his face.

     "You kept telling me I was beautiful." He began, his voice low. "But did you ever stop to realize that I saw you beautiful as well?" He asked.

       Maya stared at him. "What?"

       Dexter nodded, a light chuckle escaping his lips. "The first time I saw you, I thought you were an angel?"

        "That's ridiculous."

        "But it's true." He rested his hands on her chin, swallowing. "I've always thought you were beautiful." He mumbled, sincerity coating his words.

       "Really?" Maya's asked, her eyes teary.

       He nodded. "I fell in love with you the first time I set my eyes on you." He said. Then he sighed. " I honestly don't want anything more other than you. And I can't bear to let anything happen to you."

       Maya felt there was more to his words but she couldn't press him about it, instead she just stared at him. In an impulse, she reached out to kiss him. A soft, gentle kiss.

     His lips were firm but soft against hers and though he wasn't reacting, it didn't deter her at all. Dexter only sath there, as stiff as a rock as she kissed him. As she started to pull away, uncertain, he drew her back, finally kissing her. Maya shuddered in relief even as tears filled her eyes. There was something different about the way Dexter was reacting to her and it was making her emotional.