Chapter 41

Happy 2k votes!! I love you all!

   It was late at night but once again, Maya had trouble sleeping. After tossing and turning in her chambers for so long on her bed, she decided to check up on Dexter once again. Today had been more than draining for her, having to assume the responsibilities of being the ruler since Dexter was unable to do anything thanks to his illness. Having had a taste of what life would be like without Dexter in it, she'd grown terrified. Her fears had tripled and she began to check on him every passing minute, scared that someone would hurt him once again.

    He was asleep when she arrived at his chambers. and she move around quietly so as not to wake him. Approaching his bed, she stared at him, her eyes taking in his features, her mind somewhere else.

    He looked fine but the worry in her heart would not abate. Placing a hand on Dexter's forehead, she let out a sigh. She's probably done that five times over the past one minute.  Her apprehension was getting the best of her. Withdrawing her hands, she bit her lips, hunching her shoulders. Once again, she was drawn into her depressing thoughts once again.

    By the time she glanced back at Dexter again, he was staring back at her, a questioning look on his eyes. She flinched, startled. "You're awake." She muttered, hurriedly putting on a smile.

    "Yes." He replied but his expression didn't waver. He still had that look of concern in his eyes."Is everything alright?" He asked after a while as he managed to sit up.

    She nodded but her gaze flickered."I couldn't sleep so I came to check up on you. You seem alright so I should probably get going." She said and started to leave.

   "Wait, I didn't ask you to leave." Dexter said, stopping her in her tracks.He pursed his lips, not saying anything. After a while asked, "Did you catch the culprit?"

     "Yes, turns out it was Fleurie. She's in the dungeon right now although we're yet to get her accomplice. I arranged for her to be executed two days from now... If that's okay with you?"

  His lips twitched but didn't quite form a smile. "You do whatever you want." Maya nodded but even with the conversation she was yet to feel better. They fell into an uncomfortable silence, the air around them stilted.

   "You're not alright. If it's about me, the doctor already  said me I'll be fine. So you need not worry." Dexter stated as a matter of fact. Maya snapped up her head to look at him. He was staring at her, his gaze intense. Then it softened. "What's wrong? Do you want to talk about it?"

   Maya opened her mouth several times but snapped it shut, hesitating. "I..." She began afterwards. "Seeing you like this made me remember my time in Gegoria. "It wasn't a pretty time." She added in a whisper, looking down at her fingers.

    With an outstretched hand, Dexter beckoned on to her. She joined him on the bed, careful not to put all her weight on him. A hand caressing her hair, Maya let out a sigh.

    " How... Did you survive?" He asked, his soft voice soothing her. Maya shuddered, her eyes glazing over as memories flooded her. She let out a bitter laugh.

   " It wasn't easy, that's for sure. I already knew I wouldn't be accepted, but I wasn't expecting that much hatred. Being ignored most of my life with no one caring about me, having everybody's hateful eyes on me was overwhelming." She swallowed, burying herself into Dexter's chest. "They made it very clear that they didn't want me."

    "I'm sorry." Dexter whispered, intertwining his hands into her hair. Something in his voice soothed her, making it easier for her continue. Maya nodded. "At first it was just me and my nanny. She was the only who took care of me in that place. But even she was taken away from me."