Chapter 31

Oh, by the way... Happy New Month!!!🎉🎉🎉🎉😘

     Dexter took her back to his chambers after they came out of the garden, where he took his time taking care of her. He helped her undress out of her clothes before calling on the maids to run a bath for her. Once it was done, he chased all the maids out and assisted her in bathing, washing her hair and face. Maya relaxed against him, blindly following his lead. He helped her rinse before Afterwards, he draped warm towels over her, leading her to the bedroom. Dinner was waiting for them by the time they arrived.

     He then placed her on the laps, feeding her. Maya tried to refuse at first, saying she wasn't hungry but he pleaded with her.  She ate very little but funnily enough her stomach didn't hurt afterwards, something she had been afraid of. He ate his meal afterwards and Maya watched him eat, enjoying the scene. Watching him eat made her feel full.

     The maids came and cleared the plates once they were done. Draped in nightclothes supplied by the maid, Maya sat on the bed, fiddling with her fingers. he glanced at her, his gaze serious.

     "Now speak." He stated "What happened?"

     Maya opened her mouth and closed it several times, not knowing when to start. Eventually she decided to start from recently. She narrated everything while Dexter listened attentively, not interrupting her once. She stated vehemently that was innocent of trying to run over a child but admitted she did hit Fleurie and push a maid away from her but it was only because they had infuriated her. She also told him of suspicions that Fleurie is behind everything.

     " Is that all?" He asked when she finished, out of breath. Maya purse her lips, gazing at her hands. " I guess..." Maya murmured, taking deep breath.

    Dexter's brows burrowed as he thought about it. Maya suddenly became apprehensive. She looked up at him. " The meeting you had, what was it about?"  She asked, inching closer to him. He glanced down at her, a bitter smile working it's way up his face.

    " You, definitely." He replied honestly. Maya's face fell, a lump growing on her throat.

     " They are going to win, aren't they?'  she whispered, uneasiness seeping into her voice.

     His eyes darkened at that. " Although their arguments are valid, I won't let anything happen to you." He muttered. " I promise." With that, he pulled her into his embrace, watching as she burrowed herself deeper into his chest. He felt  her tense shoulders relaxed as he began patting her. " I'll do everything in my power to protect you." He whispered against her hair,his fingers trailing her spine. Maya nodded against his chest, biting her lips.

      Though his voice sounded calm, Maya could feel the undercurrent of anger beneath. She sighed softly, wrapping her own hands around his waist, residing in his comfort. He didn't do anything else, just patting her back rhythmically till she gave in to the exhaustion that had been haunting her from the beginning. Closing her eyes, Maya's breath evened out and she was soon asleep, snoring lightly.
.
.
.
      Maya woke up the next day to a light tap on her her hands. Fluttering her eyes open, her hazy gaze landed on Dexter's face. The bluish light of dawn had filtered into the room, illuminating the room. Maya glances at his clothes. He was already dressed.

     " Good morning." He whispered, lowering himself beside the bed. Maya groaned, reaching out to touch his face. He caressed her hand, running it down his chin.

      " Good morning." She replied when her thoughts cleared a little. " It's morning already?" She muttered to herself, she still felt sleepy.

       " Yes. I have to go. Stay indoors today. Make sure to eat also. I'll be extremely busy today."