Chapter 30

"Your majesty, a fight has broken out in the palace!"  A guard burst out as he rushed into the king's chambers. Dexter paused from the scroll he was writing, a brow raised to address the guard.

     "A fight?" He inquired, confused.

    " Yes, the queen is hitting the princess, Fleurie" he replied, his head bowed.

     That stopped him dead in his tracks. Maya is fighting? He immediately rose to his feet. "What happened?" He asked, his voice calm as he walked out of his chair towards the guards.

      " I have no idea, your majesty." He replied.

      "Take me there." He ordered smoothly. The guard bowed and immediately led the way. They walked to another wing in the palace where Fleurie resided. As he arrived, the maids who had gathered around quickly dispersed, leaving a crying Fleurie on the floor. Maya was nowhere to be seen.

     " What happened here?" He asked no one in particular, staring at Fleurie on the ground. Her eyes widened on seeing the king and she immediately sprang up to her feet."Your majesty! Fleurie cried out, tears streaming down her eyes. She immediately rushed to him but he took a step back.

    " I said, what happened here?" He repeated, his voice clipped.

    " It's the queen! She hurried up to me and hit me!She deserves to be punished!" Fleurie screamed desperately, tears streaming down her eyes.

      Dexter glanced at the hand imprints on Fleurie's face. It was red and swollen. Maya must have been really angry.

   " The queen just rushed up to you and hit you?" He asked, incredulous.

    " Yes! She even threatened to kill me!"

      I need to see her first. He turned around Immediately, completely ignoring Fleurie's cries and protests, heading immediately to her chambers.

      He found her there, pacing around. Maya

     " Are you alright? Are you hurt?" He asked, his expression softening as he hurried up to her. He tilted her face upwards, looking for hand prints, seeing there were none, he let out a sigh of relief. " What happened?" He said urgently.

     " It's Fleurie! That bitch tried to set me up!"

      " What did she do?"

     " She tried to use the villagers against me. I went on a tour with my handmaids today, only for me to be accused of trying to run over a child! A child!! Now everyone thinks I'm a wicked queen who goes around trying to hurt people."

     " Wait... You went out of the palace? And didn't inform me?"

    " No, I did. I sent Olivia to send the message."

   "Olivia?" Dexter asked, confusion apparent in his face. "I didn't receive any message." Dexter replied.

     Maya stared up at him, stunned. " You didn't? But I did, I made sure I..." Maya trailed off, her eyes going round. Then narrowed into slits. "Oh, that bitch!" She screamed, trying to get out but he held her back, placing her against his chest. Maya struggled against him, desperate to land another slap on Fleurie's face.

       Maya grew incensed, her face red with anger. She turned to Dexter, grabbing his clothes. Then in a low voice, she muttered. " I'm going to kill her. I am. She's been doing this for a while and I have been ignoring her hoping she would stop but she's taking me for a fool."

    " And you will. " Dexter replied just as calmly. " But first, I need you calm down. Seeing you like this bothers me. Let me handle this. " he muttered, cupping her cheeks, gazing at her softly. Maya took in a deep breaths, trying to calm down like Dexter said. Dexter was in the middle of soothing her when a knock came on the door. They both turned to it simultaneously.