Chapter 12

Happy 100 votes to The Tryant's king Queen!! Thanks to everyone who has read this book, left a comment and a vote! You guys hold a special place in my heart!! ❤️❤️❤️
    * This chapter is dedicated to celesteknght. Thank you for you comments and observation! Now, back to the story....

    With the passing days, came the change of seasons. The bright, hot summer had disappeared and fall was going strong. Dexter had gotten even better, all his wounds healing well, leaving behind very little scars. He'd also begun exercising to gather his full strength. With this, came the knowledge that he would be leaving soon. Maya decided to help him in preparation for the time he'll be going back.

     Taking permission from her Nanny, she decided to go to the nearby village to get things from him, using yearly allowance she received from the Royal palace. It wasn't a lot but she saved most of it so it had piled up to a good amount. Her first stop was at the horse trader. Covering most her body till only her face was visible, she called on the man.

      " I would like to buy a horse. The most sturdy one you can find. It must be suitable for long journeys." She announced. The middle man lips quirked up, a glint in her eyes.

      " In that case, my lady, you would love my latest arrivals... Please, let me show you." He said, gesturing to the stable where he kept them. Maya followed him, holding her bag of coins securely with her. He led her to a dirty, rundown house that stank of horse dung and mold. Maya could not help cringing her face disgust.

      In the vague lightning, she looked at the horses. Strangely enough, they looked well cared for. They pranced around in thier cubicle, a few neighing about while others just stood calmly. She spent a long time watching them until a particular one caught her eyes.

        It stood at the far end of the stables, it's black mane shining. Maya immediately walked up to it. " I want this one!" She announced, pointing at it. The trader grinned.

     " You have good eyes, my lady." He joined. " He is indeed the best horse among the herd. The fastest too."

      " How old is it?" Maya asked.

     " Seven years my lady. It's a really good one."

     " Seven years..." Maya muttered to herself. In one of the books she read, horses don't reach full physical maturity until they are eight years old. She reached out to touch it's muzzle. It snorted, rubbing against her hands. A smile worked it's way to her face. She wanted this one.

    Does Dexter know how to ride horses? She replied herself by saying he was a prince, he would be taught.

       " How much does it cost?" She asked. The trader grinned, his eyes glowing

      " 450 pieces of gold coins, my lady." He said. Maya stiffened, her eyes widening but she caught herself just in time.

      " I'll be paying 300 pieces of gold coins for it." She said.

      The trader began protesting, claiming the horse was worth more.

      " If you protest any further, I'll be giving you 200 pieces of gold for it. This isn't the capital, and there are a lot of wild horses roaming the mountains during this season, I'm sure I can get another sturdier horse for a much lesser price." Not only that, but 450 pieces of gold coins was a lot of money! Nanny Naomi had taken time to teach her how much every coin was worth. 300 pieces was a fair price. It was obvious this man wanted to cheat her.