Chapter 28

Maya still stood there long after Fleurie had gone, an impassive look on her face. Only on the outside however. It was a struggle to keep her emotions in check, her hands fisted at her sides and her throat bobbed as she swallowed.

     " Are you alright, your majesty?" Olivia asked cautiously behind her as she watched the queen's unnaturally pale face, hers etched with worry.

      " I'd like to be left alone, please." Maya muttered without looking at them. Thankfully her voice was calm.

     They nodded promptly, walking away immediately. Soon it was just her at the hallways. Maya turned around, walking all the way to the office in the measured steps of hers. Entering into the room, she locked the door behind her.

     All alone, Maya began trembling, her legs almost giving away. She bent over, panting like someone who had run a marathon. Maya almost fell to a heap to the ground, her heart racing. Her throat closed up, Maya felt like she was suffocating. She placed her hands on her chest, trying to dislodge whatever was hurting her there. Nothing worked and tears began stinging her eyes.

      That bitch! Maya gritted underneath her breath, her body trembling. Her heart felt like they had been sliced open, all her negative emotions rushing up to the surface at once.Feeling faint, Maya sagged on the floor,her body shaking.

      It took a while for her to finally be in control of her body. Staring at her trembling fingers, Maya bit her lips. That bitch words has had the desired effect on her and now more than anything, she was terrified of loosing Dexter. The thought of being away from Dexter filled her dread and almost made her throw up.

       She can't lose him! She won't let that witch have her way!  Her eyes filled with fire and determination, Maya glared at her still trembling hands.  She's going to do everything she can, anything possible to make sure she doesn't lose favor in the sight of Dexter.
.
.
.
      It took a while before Dexter saw her later that day. She'd been neck deep in work when he knocked on the door and walked in. She glanced up, happy to see him. He walked inside the room, a soft smile okay. He stilled Immediately on seeing the look on Maya's face.

      " What happened?! Why are you so pale?" He asked, unable to keep the alarm from his voice. Maya tried to hide it with a smile but failed terribly. Dexter Immediately rushed up to her, tilting her face so he look at her closely.

     He noticed the bite marks on her lips and his eyes darkened further. " What happened?" He asked again, his voice grave. Maya weakly pushed away from him, heaving a sigh. She fell silent for so long, Dexter was beginning to think she wouldn't reply. All of a sudden she blurelted out.

      " I saw Fleurie this morning." She began. " She said... Some things."

      It was Dexter's turn to go blank. " What?"  Then his eyes narrowed. " Did she do anything? Did she try to hurt you?!"

       "No." Maya replied, shaking her head.

       " Then, what happened?"

      " We just talked." Maya replied. The look Dexter gave her showed he didn't believe anything she said. She let out a breath, worrying her lower lip.

     " Who is she and why is she here with us?"  Maya asked instead.

        Dexter groaned, rubbing his forehead.

      " She was betrothed to my brother but since I killed him. So that sort bof rendered her   I honestly didn't pay attention to her after took over the kingdom and she's supposed to go back where to wherever she came from but she keeps staying behind." He groaned under his breath, clearly displeased.