Chapter 26

Playlist: It's got my name on it– Sarah reeves. Enjoy reading!

      Maya was in her chambers trying to fall asleep when a knock came on her door. She paused momentarily, staring at the door. When the knock came again, Maya stepped out of the bed. Placing a robe over her nightdress, she walked towards the door. Not bothering to ask who it was, she pulled it open.

     Dexter was behind it. And he was dressed in his  nightclothes. Maya's heart skipped a beat at the sight, her throat going dry. He glanced down at her, a corner of his lips quirked up.

     "Hi. Can I come in?" He asked. Maya stepped out of the way immediately, gesturing inside.

    " Of course." She replied. Dexter walked in, a small smile on his face. She immediately closed the door after him. Her chambers that felt so empty and dreary didn't feel that way anymore with him around. A fluttery feeling began at the base of her stomach.

    "You didn't come to see me today." He said, glancing at her. Maya rubbed her arms, struggling for what to say. " I was trying to get used to sleeping with my chambers." She replied finally

    Dexter crossed his arms, a glint in his eyes." Is it working?"

    " No." Maya replied quickly, shaking her head. " It's awfully quiet in here. Empty too.  I'm glad you're here." She quickly hurried to the bed, pulling Dexter along with her.

      They both sat at the edge of the bed, with Maya scooting close to him. He pulled her close, his warmth encompassing her. Tilting her face upwards, he began speaking.

    " How was your day?" He asked gently.

    " Great. Everything went well." She replied, raising her hands and placing on his chest. " It was actually better than I thought it would be. I expected more resistance."

       Dexter seemed pleased to hear that. " There were no disturbances?" He asked.

     It was at the tip of Maya's tongue to tell him about Fleurie but she bit it back. Shaking her head, she pressed her lips into a thin smile. " It's nothing I can handle."

      Dexter raised a brow and for a moment, she was scared he'd push further. But he only let out a sigh and nodded. "Okay, if you say so." He muttered, running a hand through her hair.

     Maya sighed, drawing invisible lines on his chest. She didn't want to tell him not because she was scared of him but because she didn't want to bother him when she knows it's something she can handle herself.

     " You've had dinner right?" He asked and she nodded. It was little and her stomach hurt while eating but she managed to. She's noticed Dexter doesn't like it when she doesn't eat.

    "What about you?" She muttered against him.

      " I had mine a while ago." He replied, his voice low. " Let's get some rest. I couldn't sleep either."

        Pulling her closer to himself, they slipped under the covers. Maya immediately turned to him, settling into his embrace. It calmed her down more than anything. One strong arm went over her head, gently patting it. Maya let out a breath, slowly relaxing.

        " Go to sleep." He murmured a while later. Her eyes were already drooping. She suddenly felt so tired.

      She mumbled a reply, her eyes drifting close. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep.
.
.
.
   The next day when Maya woke, Dexter was nowhere to be seen. Maya quickly realised he might have begun his work. Feeling slightly better, she decided to begin hers as well. Her handmaids came to her chambers and began to prepare her bath. She slipped into the warm water and they washed her body. Other maids brought her dress for the day.