Chapter 11

You should listen to Dandelions by Ruthie B while reading this chapter! It adds an extra emotional punch!!!😊😊😊 Enjoy reading!

       In the week that followed, it was not until they heard the crown prince had gone back to Madonia did they finally get the chance to breath again. If he left without causing trouble, then his people should have left with him. He couldn't possibly be looking for Dexter now.

      During those moments however, Maya and Dexter  had gotten even closer. As close as they could get. Dexter health was also improving rapidly and now he could walk around almost without any aide. As much as it made Maya happy to see him get better, a part of her was saddened at the fact that he would eventually leave. Having him around has brightened her usual boring, monotone life. And it's all about to change.

       The second week rolled by and Maya began noticing some changes in Dexter's mood. His health almost fully recovered, he began to worry a lot. During those times, Maya didn't know how to help him with it and she didn't bother asking because she knew why he did. She'd asked her Nanny for help but Naomi just suggested he be left alone. Maya didn't know if she could do that.

        One evening, she went up to the rooftops of the villa in search of him. She had gone to his room earlier and when she  didn't find him there asked her Nanny of his whereabouts. She told him where he was and immediately after thanking her, she went in search of him. Indeed he was at the rooftops, Just watching the mountains that surrounded the villa the forest. A beautiful sight when you add the setting sun but she was almost sure he wasn't admiring the view.

      She joined him but didn't say anything, just stared at the view together, the wind whirling past them. Occasionally she glanced at him, but he was looking ahead, the worry lines present on his face. Her heart hurt for him.

      " Lost in thought?" Maya finally asked, breaking the silence. She watched as he took in a deep breath, staring at his hands.

       " Yes." He replied, surprising her.

        " What are you thinking about?" She prodded further. He glanced at her then, a sad look in his beautiful eyes.

       " Home.." he muttered and her chest constricted, She looked away, fiddling with her fingers.

      " What are you worried about?" She muttered, not looking at him. Dexter fell silent for so long, she almost began to think he wouldn't answer.

      " Everything. Most especially about my mother. She must've been devastated hearing the news and now..." He trailed off, his eyes darkening. Maya didn't speak for so long, just stared at him, taking in all the reactions he couldn't hide.

       " It must be hard..." Maya finally whispered, her gaze on the mountains. "Hiding and having no idea what's going on."

        " It is..."  He admitted. " I wish I could go back immediately but I can't because there a re people trying to kill me and I have no one to help me."

        Maya wanted to reach out to him but she wasn't sure if he would appreciate it. Instead she straightened up, putting her hair back in place as the wind had disheveled it. She watched the sun set in the horizon.

       " In a few months, I'll be moving to the Royal palace in preparation for my debutante." She announced. She felt his gaze on her but she didn't turn to look at him.  " I don't have any expectations for it and now, after meeting you... I'm even more scared." She shuddered, blinking rapidly. " What if they try to hurt me? There's no one to protect me there. I can't even count on my own father." A bitter laugh left her lips at last sentence.

       " You'll be fine." The words left his lips before be could stop them. Maya turned to look at him, a brow raised. He seemed serious.

      " How do you know that?" She asked.

      Dexter faltered, looking away,  a flicker in his eyes. His lips twitched but didn't quite form a smile as he spoke the next words. " Well, you live in this huge villa with just one maid and didn't go crazy, it's enough for me to know you'll be fine."

       Maya chuckled and the sound felt like music to Dexter's ears. He glanced at her. She had a soft smile on her face. " Is that supposed to be reassuring? If it is, it worked."

          He returned with one of his. " I'm glad. " Then his expression turned serious. " But if it's of any help, I'd like to give you some ideas."

          " I'm listening."

         " Never let anyone see you cry. It makes them think you're weak. Always wear a smile too but if it's too hard to handle, A poker face will do just fine."

         " That's... Rather simple." Maya muttered thoughtfully.

        " Yes. But it works."

         " I'll keep that in mind. " she whispered. " Thanks. "

         " You're welcome."

        They fell into a comfort silence afterwards, the sun slowly disappearing into the mountains, casting it's final rays of light. Maya grinned then, the gentle breeze picking up her hair and blowing it free.

       " It's really beautiful here." She muttered,her voice soft. " Everything is so small and magnificent. I've never seen the sunset this way before."

       Dexter smiled, quietly agreeing with her. For the first time since he arrived here, he just noticed how beautiful the sunset is. Another thing he discovered, he wasn't as worried as before. Talking with her did help.

      Maya chuckled, raising her hands to the air. She turned to him and laughed, the wind picking up the sounds..

         Dexter watched her and somehow, became entranced by it. She looked magical, like a fairy bathing in the sun's golden beam. His heart began pounding.

        " Isn't it beautiful?" She asked, her smile resplendent. He stared at her, awestruck.

         The words tumbled out of their own accord.  " Absolutely gorgeous...."

       Thinking he was talking about the view, she grinned at him and turned back to the mountains. The sun was halfway gone now and streaks of purple were begining to lime the sky. " I wished it stays like this..." She muttered, hopeful.

           Dexter silently concurred. " Me too."

Author's note:
    Seems like Dexter is in love...👀👀
What do you think?
Let me know!!
Don't forget to vote and comment! It really helps!!
See you in the next chapter 🙈🙈