Chapter 46

Four weeks later.

     After that night, Whatever had made Dexter so worried seemed to disappear with the wind and everything was back to normal... Except for the heightened security in the palace. In the weeks that followed, Maya wasn't allowed to go anywhere without having multiple guards and maids with her. But she  didn't mind, mainly because she had no energy to go anywhere.

      She'd been unable to walk without a wince since that night and whenever Dexter saw her groaning, a look of embarrassment would cross his face as he tried to look away. Maya would use that opportunity to glare at him. He seemed guilty to have caused her that much discomfort but Maya just thought it hurt so good. when she finally regained control of her legs, she was always too sluggish to get out of bed so she spent most of her time inside the king's chambers.

      Today however had to be one of the worst days yet. Maya had woken up that morning with a heavy nausea and headache which grew into something worse by mid-morning. Now she was burning up and she'd been unable to eat. Shivering under the covers, Maya fell back into a restless sleep, claiming she was exhausted.

      Dexter had been out of his mind with worry all morning, he'd refused to leave her side and when it became unbearable to see her that way, had to call for a doctor. He promptly came and resumed his tests on her. Dexter stood close by while the doctor inspected her, a frown on his face.

      "So what's wrong with her?" He asked when he noted that the doctor has pulled away from her.

      The doctor took in a deep breath before he began his explanation. "There's really nothing wrong with her your majesty, she seems fine  physically." He told the king. "Except..." He trailed off, looking hesitant.

      "Except what?" Dexter urged him.

       The doctor shrugged. "Well, it looks like the early symptoms of pregnancy, your majesty." He finally announced.

       The words flew around Dexter's head without penetrating. He stared at the doctor, then at Maya who was still sleeping soundly. When it finally did, he stiffened, his eyes slowly widening. "Pregnant?"

      "Yes, although it's just a speculation." The doctor quickly said. "For now I'll give her some medicines to reduce her fever but I'll have to check on her once more to see if she's really pregnant."

      Dexter stared at Maya for so long, lost for words."You're dismissed." He said to the doctor after a while, his expression calm.  The latter bowed after dropping some herbs, immediately exited the chambers.

      Dexter walked up to her, staring at her sleeping face. Despite his calm demeanor, his heart was racing, the hair on his neck standing on end. Maya is pregnant? That couldn't be possible.

      Then again, what was he expecting? It wasn't like he was trying to avoid getting her pregnant. Once that thought took root, he shivered uncontrollably. Don't get ahead of yourself, he immediately muttered when he caught himself grinning. It's still all a speculation. He started taking calming breaths.

      Maya slowly opened her eyes, her gaze flickering around. When it finally settled on him, her lips twitched. She tried to sit up and Dexter immediately rushed to assist her, all traces of excitement wiped off from his face.

      "How do you feel?" He asked, placing the back of his hands on her forehead.

     "Still nauseous." She murmured,rubbing her face against his hands."Hungry too."

      "The doctor dropped some medicine. I'll ask the maids to bring some food and then you'll eat and take it, alright?"

       She nodded, blinking drowsily. Then glanced at him. "What did the doctor say is wrong with me?"