Chapter 21

At her approval, Olivia and Claire immediately set to work in dressing her up. They picked out a light cream dress, adorned with golden frills and a beautiful lace. Maya was stunned when she saw it. It was so simple yet so incredibly gorgeous. They helped her wear it, fastening the buttons and tying the ropes that were loose. Claire focused on her hair, braiding it before placing gold accessories on it. Since it was just a tour, there was no need for a crown. Nevertheless, Maya looked just as beautiful and regal as she would have, with or without.

       Adorning her with a cape that fluttered at the ends, they led the Queen out of the King's chambers. Guards on duty bowed as they saw her and Maya regarded them with a nod, looking around. Madonia's Royal palace was a lot bigger than her home, more beautiful too. Each section of the hallway had their own chandeliers and every part was intricately designed. Maya imagined how much craftsmanship and money that would have gone into it. It definitely was a lot.

     Her handmaids took her everywhere. From the ballroom, to the kitchen, the guest quarters and even the tower, all the while explaining little of Madonia's history to her. Maya listened with rapt attention, intrigued. They also introduced the workers of the palace to her who bow when they meet her, saying their greetings. It was a lot of work and people but Maya got through all of it gracefully.

        Next, they showed her the training grounds. A bit farther from the main palace with a fortress of it's own, Maya watched it, enthralled. It reminded Maya of how powerful Madonia is. Her Kingdom would have never stood a chance if a war broke out, with or without her interference.

      " This is where the king trains!" Olivia announced excitedly as they inched closer. " On days where he isn't so busy and has time to spare, he comes here to train with the knights and soldiers. Sometimes, tournaments are done here too!" She added, squealing at the last part.

        Maya glanced at the ground from the tower where she stood. Dexter trains here? Isn't it too far off? She wondered. She pictured Dexter training with swords, sweat pouring from his body, his light grey eyes narrowed in concentration, his hair slick with water, muscles bulging and moving. A smile worked it's way to her face and she blushed, her body tingling. She wanted to see him train.

      " What about his family?" Maya asked the question that had been bugging her for a while now. " Is there a place where you can show me portraits of them?"

      The two exchanged glances but nodded.  " Yes, your majesty. But it is back at the main palace." Olivia replied.

       " I would like to see it." She told them.

      " Of course, your majesty." Claire replied, her head bowed. They started back to the palace. Casting a backward glance at the training ground, Maya took in a deep breath and focused on the road ahead. The main palace soon came into view and they lead her in, taking her on another flight of stairs. This time they were headed to west wing of the palace where the former royal family resided.

       As they walked down the huge hallway,  Olivia and Claire walked ahead to open the curtains, letting light flow into the room. Maya watched as the hallway brightened, and the portraits on the side came into view. It was portraits of the Royal family in their splendor. Maya slowed down in her steps, watching it. There was portraits of the Queen, the King, and the Crown prince that Dexter killed. Maya paused, staring at the portrait of Dexter. Although he still looked the same, he was definitely younger when this picture was drawn, his eyes vibrant.

      After standing for so long, she realised she didn't see any pictures of Dexter's mother. She turned to the maids, confused.

       " What about his mother,  do you not have any pictures of her?" Maya asked.