02. Venice

chapter 2

Venice, Italy 1855

Eleanor did it. She actually, truly, impossibly have done it. Traveling alone and without the faintest idea of what would come her way. The giddy feeling she had felt after the moment of her chopping of her hair did not leave, instead it demanded another action. And so she did. The ship had just stopped moving after three days of sailing smoothly Eleanor believed she would go insane expecting any time soon to feel the frightful and stomach dropping fear of regret and find herself in a panic state of no return.

but it never came.

Instead she had found herself in those days staring outside the little round windows that showed the waves ripping splashes after splashes, from cold to hitting sunlight as they crossed several oceans and countries. Excitement and admiration swept over her as she day dreamed and took in the beauty of the world passing between her eyes.

She was in Rome... the place that Karina had suggested, and told her endless stories that only awoke an desire so strong that she acted upon it. After last month of her impulsive decision it only grew stronger and the life up in north of England was not bad, but the cold air and weather was making her gloomy and sad. What she needed was sun and a place where she could make all her mistakes and needs without being known and feel like a burden.

"the italians do have a quick temper and they are not afraid to show their opinion, but they are not starchy and pricky for society etiquettes and manners like here In england... They are warm and friendly... especially the women. In other words my dear, Italy  truly is something else and god if i had the chance to relieve those magnificent years of my life.." Karina sighed melodramatically

And just like that Eleanor had been drawn to Italy, wanting to have a taste of freedom and exploration. It was not that she hated England, it was the society and all the tiring endless days of having to fulfill perfection in any aspect of her life... then it was the need to flee, go anywhere to forget the torment she had lived this past few months.

And Italy felt like an boomerang, coming back, always in her mind and impossible to brush off. She wanted to visit and see all the glory it has.

Karina was merely surprised when Eleanor had awoken the next morning ready to depart, but she had only asked if that was what she really wanted to do. And when Eleanor assured her, Karina's eyes glinted in pride as she even assisted her as an chaperone through the guards before the ship took off, just thinking about it made Eleanor's lips twitch into a smile. she had done her countless of favours that no one could ever or had the courage to do. She owed her a lot but Karina only merely waved a hand as if it was a rubbish notion, "Young lady I haven't done anything, what you owe me is endless letters of all your experiences and I want to know every detail... this old woman will go no'where" the northern accent rolled off her tongue making Eleanor smile as she embraced her tightly, "I sure will... and Karina.. Please do send this letter to my sister... I am afraid she will go ballistic if I write her from Italy.." a sly grin on her lips before she departed.

And that was three days ago.

Eleanor wondered how her sisters reaction would be once she read her letter stating that she travelled to Italy... Perhaps Lillian would faint. After all It was never  in Eleanor's nature to behave this impulsive and hastily. That sort of actions were more alike Lillian.

With more hours of feeling the boat follow the waves in a bumpy motion Eleanor decided to use her time with reading,

Deeply engrossed in her book she wasn't fully aware of the sounds until people started rising, 

"All the passengers abroad we are in shore and reached your destination, welcome to Venice Italy!" the sailor announced suddenly making Eleanor frown while the rest of the men and few women threw words of relief and happiness.