21. Goodbye

Chapter 21.

Something had her twisting and turning.

At first Eleanor didn't know what had awakened her. The room was dark and silent. She felt hot and cold at the same time, after several seconds her eyes adjusted to the darkness. She perceived the presence just before she heard the movement at her side.

Her head snapped in the direction of the sound. A startled cry escaped her dry lips when she spotted a form reposed in the chair at her bedside. For an instant she hovered between terror and confusion before recognition set in.

Lorenzo

His head rested against the cushion of burgundy brocade, and the deep rhythmic whisper of his breath indicated he was asleep.

She could only lower head back onto her pillow and watch silently, her gaze drifting along the shadowed planes of his face, so strong and sculpted she was surprised to see a more boyish tender appearance in his restful state.

Her bewildered mind tried to rationalise what just occurred, she remembered the shop... meeting Lorenzo on the street and the man who sold newspaper, having Lorenzo translate—— Dear heavens. Her father. He was dead. It all came back like a rush of air and had her feeling all kind of emotions she couldn't pint point.

It had been all much to take in that the last thing she recalled was Lorenzos firm arms grasping her before darkness overtook her.

And now she was tucked in a bed, no doubt had she burdened Lorenzo further when she was supposed to spend her last day with him, cherish her last memories. She hadn't pictured it. Neither had she pictured her father who even through his roughest days would leave the earth, she knew he must've fought for his last breath. Her fathers demands could work even from the grave. While there was no tears for her to shred there was only a crippling anxiousness.

She wasn't naive, it was only a matter of time before the royal family would send for her presence, she would need to leave. Immediately.

There was no time to waste, even when she knew it wouldn't be a waste. How could it when she wanted to spend her time with a man who seemed to make all her worries and troubles fade? A surge of guilt hit her... she didn't deserve Lorenzo, he had been there for her in moments she didn't expect anyone to be. Despite her efforts to brush him off when they first meet he stayed, he helped her and most of all he cared for her. She knew it.

She would cherish him in her heart, but even she knew that her naivety couldn't go for more longer. Even when there was moments on the tip of her tongue when she almost spilled all her darkest secrets, wanted him to be her confidant.

No

This time she would save herself from heartbreak, she didn't want anything to spoil what she felt, even if it never was mutual.

Mustering a catlike silence Eleanor dragged herself from bed so slow she couldn't wake even the most light sleeper, drawing in a shaky breath her eyes flickered to his sleeping form and an urge so strong to just touch him came over her, with a hard shake of her head she donned her day gown that laid on the bed and without tending her hair or even looking for her appearance she hurried out of her room.

All the while telling herself this was what she had to do... She had no time to waste. Her heart dropped in her stomach thinking this would be her last time seeing him, farewell....

And she didn't even have the time to say goodbye.

__________________________

        VOTE AND COMMENT!