23. Twins

Chapter 23

3 days later

"Merciful heavens," Evan Hartwick drew a ragged breath as the first nurse came out after two hours of him pacing across the wooden floor and Eleanor siting anxiously.

"How is my wife?" He immediately asked, Eleanor stood on her feet.

The young nurse smiled beamingly, "She's recovering, my lord. The twins has been taken to their own nursing bed,"

Twins?

Eleanor couldn't believe it, and she must've said it aloud since the nurse gave another smile, "Yes indeed, the countess has birthed two healthy boys."

Eleanor wiped away a tear as joy filled her, her brother in law wasting no time as he marched into the room where Lillian now rested.

Eleanor had not envisioned this arrival when she returned to England two days ago after discreetly having the carriage take her to Essex where Lillian now lived.

She had been welcomed with the information that her sister was already in delivery, ready for childbirth. It both terrified her and filled her with happiness, mostly happiness now after fifteen hours of waiting, for a second fearing her sister wouldn't make it.

A fear that had the earl swearing and looking like a man taken to his grave, his hair distraught, looking nothing like the noble earl. Quite frankly she had never seen the earl in that state.

She didn't know much of Evan Hartwick other than that he was a well respected and highly liked by her father and while the circumstances had been awkward at first considering she was supposed to marry him she was grateful that fate couldn't have turned out better, for now he and her sister found love in each other.

The door was left ajar and Eleanor could see Evan hovering over the bed and decided to give them privacy, she herself could use a bath and changes of clothes indeed the journey had been an tiring one.

A maid helped her to one of the spare rooms. Coming back to England Eleanor was used to large homes with gardens and all that she knew off it now felt...

felt like a void. As if she was a stranger. She preferred small houses... cozy but still—- no she would not think of Italy.

At half- past two, Eleanor descended the stairs. Bathed and rested and changed into a fresh gown, she felt far better, far more in control of her shattering emotions.

Being told by one of the maids that Lillian has heard of her arrival and would like to see her Eleanor strode with anticipation of finally seeing her sister after months now.

Tapping softly upon the door, she entered the room. Cherry and pleasant with bright spring green paint on the walls, rich walnut floors and furnishings, the nursery was a place of security and contentment. Two large cradles were set up at a perfect angle to the fireplace and windows so the infants would have plenty of light and warmth, yet be sheltered from any unhealthful effects.

Eleanor was surprised to see Lillian no longer in the bed, instead sitting at a nearby rocking chair, one of the babies cradled at her breast.

Eleanor exchanged a smile with her twin, then gave Lillian time to finish feeding her child without the interference of conversation.

A young rosy cheeked nursemaid appeared, crossing to help Lillian with the baby once he was done eating. Lillian buttoned her dress into place, then let the maid carry the sleeping baby to his cradle to tuck him in next to his brother's. As soundlessly as she arrived, the maid departed.

"Gads!, I couldn't believe my ears when Evan told me you came," Lillian hurried to her feet with far more agility than the last time they had met, her figure lush yet clearly on its way to returning to its usual slenderness. They exchanged a warm embrace, drawing away in surprise, "You cut your hair? my god and colored it?" her fingers brushing through the dark bouncy curls, looking in amazement.