38. A father

Chapter 38

There were few moments in Lorenzo's life that staggered him to his core, one of them happened when he was twelve years, his mothers death. His father had always been an unaffected man by nature, but in that funeral he had seen a glimpse of his fathers emotions, Lorenzo after that had became numb.

Then it was the day his father who never was really active in his life and did not hide his disappointment whenever they spoke which were few. Until their contact was none at all.

It was as if he was disowned and Lorenzo was the part to blame as well but then he was holding a grudge.

But the day he was told his father had died Lorenzo had been shocked to the core, not because it would undeniably been a change to his life but because he had been so sure that his father would outlive him, after all he was the one who was admired around the city, did his outmost work. Whereas Lorenzo lived with no care, drank to oblivion and caroused all his youth away.

In those empty moments on the second funeral of his life he wondered why it was that he had not been the one in that coffin, and when he found out that his father who always said he could not take anything serious had left him all his values and work for him in his testimony.

Lorenzo had then been sure he could never been more shocked in his whole life.

He was wrong.

Today was the most shocking moment in his life,

With only two words

Our son

When Eleanor spoke those words Lorenzo had been in a state of shock, overtaken with an emotion so fierce it nearly clouded him.

"I— This was not how I wanted to tell you—-" she continued saying a bunch of things that seemed miles away, echoing in his ear but not comprehending anything but replaying the words our son.

Our son.

"Lorenzo? Are you listening? Please say something, your frightening me,"

He only stared at her. Couldn't speak, when it seemed like hours had gone did he found his ability,

A lump formed in his throat, his voice so unlike him as he rasped, "Son? You—you said— I've must've heard you wrong" giving himself a hard shake of his head he regarded her once again, her beautiful face was filled with dread, "No. You didn't hear me wrong, and I understand your displeased, believe me I am not suggesting you take part in his life—-" her words was like an dynamite to his emotions

"You mean to tell me that I have a son who—-who you didn't bother to tell me about?" His voice had never risen, he had always known how emotions could crumble a man. Never raise your voice was what his grandma had taught him, because that showed weakness. But this. He couldn't control anything.

"Truth be told I wouldn't have left had I known, it was only after I returned to England that I felt the symptoms and found out I was pregnant. I wouldn't do that otherwise,"

"And all those four years? What's your excuse for that? You can't possibly say you couldn't have found me! I would've taken the first voyage had you only written me so"

She stiffened, he dragged a deep breath trying to control his rage that was consuming him, red and hot.

"I've thought about it, but it couldn't be done. There is things I haven't told anyone, not because I didn't want to but because I couldn't,"

"Dio! Woman you are saying a bunch of nonsense," he cursed, running his hand frustratingly through his hair.

"I know it sounds absurd! But it was what I had to do. I— I come from a royal family. There's lots of— rules" she trailed off and he frowned,

"Royal?" Dio who was this woman.

"Yes, I'm a princess. My father was an emperor, and when he died it— It complicated things, there were conditions I couldn't cross, I still cannot cross."

Lorenzo listened and every word she said was like a lioness protecting her cubs. She was quivering with emotions but still holding her head high, determined. He noticed she was afraid. His once consuming rage was still there but it didn't drive him to blind,

"I want to be in his life" He gave her a look that indicated how serious he was. If he had learned anything from his own childhood it was how much different he wanted it to be if he one day started a family of his own, even if this meant he already had one without knowledge.

She seemed surprised but did not fight him.

All the while he wondered what he looked like, was he talkative? Would he be disappointed?

"What is his name?"

"Aaron."

Aaron

"How many years is he?" His question once again took her by surprise, perhaps she expected him to still rage at her and yell but he knew how meaningless that was. Did he feel betrayal? Yes. Did he wish things were different? Definitely.

"He just turned four in August." She replied and flickered her gaze, "He's here... sleeping right now"

Lorenzo's breath hitched, a yearning he had to hold back, "I understand it'll be a grand shock for him. But I want to be there when you tell him."

"Yes of course. When I married I was sure I was doing the right thing, but Aaron deserves to know you. Even though I've let him believe he already has a father"

Lorenzo stiffened, his chest squeezed. He wondered why she gone the length she did, even though they didn't have a relationship at the beginning how could one keep a child hidden?

Never tell.

He held her gaze, locked in a duel, "I suppose we'll see more of each other after all,"

He was the first to look away, turning around not daring to stay longer in her presence when all he wanted to do was hold her, throttle her and kiss her senselessly all in the same time.

Dio. He was a father and with the same woman he believed he would never see again.

And no ordinary woman at that! But a goddamn princess.

__________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT