43. Numb

Chapter 43

It was getting more hard to refrain and control his thoughts, After years of discipline Lorenzo successfully turned his life around and stopped with things that distracted him such as drinking, carousing.

Yet he couldn't seem to have any control where it concerned Nora.... Eleanor as her name is now. But the woman he felt for was another, one that still tormented him. Her youthful beauty, the way her once young slim body filled out into curves that had him stare at her far longer than he wanted.

She was still a bewitching beauty to hold alright.

But she was still the same woman who ran out on him, only to bring a basketful of secrets he hadn't known.

He was sure to be filled with hatred, expecting every fiber in his body to loathe her. But god, he couldn't bring himself to it.

His body was a traitor.

It was the last day before they left for London, he'd have to speak to her. Set some understanding on how they'll go forward, he didn't miss her avoidance and every opportunity to ignore him, that was clear through out yesterdays strained dinner.

A knock sounded in the study room he occupied for his staying.

Expecting Lord Hartwick or the servants he was surprised to see Lillian.

"Good afternoon signora,"

"Afternoon, Lorenzo."

Last he heard, both her and Eleanor with the children had visited one of the neighbours. He hadn't expected the quick return.

"I suppose you wonder why I'm here but I couldn't bring myself to stay idle no longer."

Confused and curious he placed away his line of work, a thing he'd learned about the wife of the earl thus far was that she was an intelligent woman her knowledge off things such as architect and politic was not very common with women in England.

She strolled inside the room, taking a seat and crossing her hands.

"It's about my sister..."

His curiosity only increased and a sense of worry came over him but he hoped it wasn't obvious, "What of her?"

"You love her don't you?"

Her forwardness caught him off guard. He'd never had anyone ask him that, perhaps because he thought he was good at hiding his emotions and burry them. No one could see through what you didn't want them to see.

"Love is quite a strong word, signora."

Her lips twitched in a smile, "It surely is. But I feel like both of you have a thing or two in common."

"And what may that be?"

"You both are talented in hiding what you feel, I just do not understand why when it is obvious."

He wasn't going to sit here and entertain romantic notions when the truth was he'd been left and had searched for her like a mad man, "With all due respect, Signora. What was between your sister and I are— complicated."

To say the least. And he'd wager his fortune that Eleanor hadn't told the whole story, she was secretive that he knew.

Expecting her to drop the subject he saw the glimmer in her big blue eyes, quite identical to the ones that also sparkles like sapphire.

"I'm aware of it, but I also know there are things you haven't been told."

"Like how I never knew my son or who she was?" He couldn't stop the words leaving his mouth, harsh and biting.

"Exactly. But has she told you why?"

Throwing his mind back he couldn't recall asking why. He'd been consumed with anger— felt like a fool. Why she'd done it? Well he could recall the little she said before his ears had thundered. She told him she was in a royal family— which wouldn't permit her to be with an foreigner like him of course even he knew the English were prickly when it came to outside marriage.

Looking away he cleared his throat, "I think it's unimportant, I've told Eleanor I'm staying in England and that she cannot keep my son from me. I'd rather not dwell in the past. She's— married and the only thing between us is Aaron."

And he'd better remind himself that when his thought strayed.

"Has she told you the truth about her marriage?"

Truth?

What truth where it? That she lied to him and he probably was not the only man who'd been fooled by her charms,

"I gather that much," She sighed, "My sister is prideful and stubborn, risking her own happiness. Lorenzo.. she only
married Kevin to protect Aaron's future."

A lump formed in his throat as he stared at Lillian now. That meant Eleanor wasn't married when he meet her then... she married to protect Aaron's future?

"Why? Why should she do that? Why didn't she tell me" He was speaking to himself more than Lillian, frustrated.

Lillian smiled sympathetically, "I think you might find those answers... if you search for it."

And with that she left. Leaving him cold and numb.

________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT