03. Darkest Secrets

chapter 3

"What?" Eleanor bursted as the stranger continued to look at her in a way that had her feel some kind of insect being inspected, his eyes the darkest green she had ever seen and it was hard to look away, "You must be new to Italy" his tone brisk but she swore there was some amusement behind it, caught her off guard, she wanted him to explain what in the hell he meant by Rome is far far away, she had not missed the emphatazie of the word.

Not liking his oddly amused behavior she decided to ignore his question, "What do you mean by Rome is far away?"

His lips twitched, "You are a stubborn one aren't you? I am starting to believe knowledge is not your strongest trait" the playful tone in his voice was the reason she could not sound serious as she wished, "Are you making fun of me?"

"I would never dare, Segniora..."

Glaring at him she could not help but sigh, if what he said was the truth then she was completely hopless. "Is there some carriages... Or any kind of escorting?"

"Not by this time no."

God heavens... what ought she to do? she knew no one here and she couldn't write to Karina's sister Eva...

"Rome cannot wait tomorrow?" His voice brought her back to present and she saw the way he looked at her It was as if the stranger could read her thoughts, or perhaps there was a mark on her face that said 'god help me i am a clueless foregin woman who thought it was a splendid idea to travel all by myself'

"It cannot" she muttered low but he heard it,

" A woman like you... without an escort or chaperone..all by yourself decided to travel without knowing that the ship doesn't go to Rome?"

Oh how she hated to hear her own stupidity, it sure was not a good feeling. Throwing another glare he chuckled at her expression, "forgive me for being blunt Signora,"

"Blunt is not the correct word," she shot back, he raised a brow looking amused, "What is then?"

"Rude, you are rude my lord"

"My lord? You are English then"

couldn't he detect it from her accent and tone? She didn't bother to answer as he continued ruefully, "I cannot stand here all day Segniora, work calls for some of us you see..."

her eyes snapped back to his and again the feeling of panic went inside her. What would she do if he now left? he was right, she was an stupid woman who travelled all alone, even Karina had her sister when she came.

she could not stay anywhere without an chaperone or being a married woman, no one would rent her a room... dear heavens she was in utter hell... the only thing making it bareable was this stranger speaking english, and an desperate spark inside her fired as she turned to look at him,

"I--- I can pay you" she offered and taking in his attire from the stuffed shirt and smooth looking trousers she could feel that the man had money but still, she remembered her father saying he admired Italians for their desire in wealth and determination something he thought the english lacked.

He stared at her for a while making her feel ashamed, she was a woman and it was not everyday a woman offered for money, but desperate moments called for great measurments,

He swallowed hard, "Segniora... You want to pay me?"For an instant, he appeared surprised. Then a smile moved over his mouth,  humor warming his green eyes, his eyes travelled from her toes up to her head and she swore every single part of her body tingled where his eyes laid upon, then when he looked back at her his eyes turned different, a dark lure seemed to linger and it was then that she understood what in the world he must be thinking, her face burned as she rushed to say, "I do not mean that! god forbid! I just mean i am willing to pay if you help me out to stay somewhere until tomorrow that is... I won't be a bother... I am merely in need of a roof over my head" she was quick to say as she added, "---And nothing else"

His lips turned into a full smile that changed him into devilishly handsome, god it must be a sin to look this attractive, she had seen men from different countries when her father would make her attend all those boring events and ballrooms, but she had never seen a man so good looking he could make her tongue stumble.

"I'm disappointed now. Are you sure i can't talk you into letting me have my way with you, after all?"

Have his way? After all? did he want that?

She swallowed and trembled, the teasing tone in his voice did nothing to calm her as she imaginned the two of them lying naked on a bed with nothing but a spill of sunlight to cover their entwined bodies. She throbbed, aware of his long powerful frame standing in front her.

"Q-quite sure" she found her voice. God since when had she ever imagined that kind of desire? She chouldn't even recall feeling that way with Kevin, her thoughts had never strained towards that way. This stranger within knowing him for less than ten minutes had ignited feelings in her that she never thought she was capable of having. But then again as her eyes locked with his gleaming ones and the lure behind him she knew he had an ability, perhaps it was his way of getting any woman underneath his spell.

"Ah, you're a cruel one, Signora. But fret not, I am not a cruel man and could not leave you here looking like a lost puppy waiting for help"

she did not know how to response and she did not need as he grinned before grabbing her baggages, "You need not I can carry them myself" while she was accoustumed to her whole life of footmen and butlers, carrying her belongings she did not want that treatment here, here she wanted to do her own thing, even if it was carrying heavy baggages, as she tried reach his arm he shook his head, "Let me," his tone not letting her continue. As he picked up her belongings with ease like it weighted nothing while she walked beside him,

"England must be cold" he suddenly spoke, and she realised he meant by her attire, "Indeed it is,"

"What made you come here?" he continued and glanced at her warily.

so he wanted to have a conversation? she wanted nothing else but silence and let the inner voice in her head scowld her

"I believe the same as any foregin comes for," she replied back hoping he understood she was not in a sociable mood, frankly she never was. Although she was known to being the society belle and entertain her guests as a host she had never been sociable despite what other may think.

"Oh? and what is that?" he pounded back, as they walked she realised that some people cast curious looks at him but he only nodded blankly, perhaps he was known around?

after all one could hardly miss a man like him, it caught ones attention like a bee taking nectar on a flower and no doubt woman would give him that.

Realising she had not answered she shrugged, "Beautiful views, arts, exhibition and food,"

"But not everyone are able to do that, signora, and surely not a woman alone.... that brings me to my next question..."

He suddenly stopped and so did she, he stared at her intensly as if he could see her every darkest secrets,

"Who exactly are you?"

_______________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT