35. Long time

Chapter 35

In the few days Eleanor's life allowed for alone time or time at all she never thought twice to visit her sister.

Everything seemed to calm her when she was with her and her family. And even better since her son was joyful, beaming with the eagerness of playing with his cousins.

So when they finally arrived at Essex even the weariness of the journey couldn't take away her need to see her sister.

"The earl and the countess had urgent matters, John the earls brother had an carriage accident," An maid informed once they came inside

Dear heavens! Eleanor's throat lurched, but of course they needed to be there. She knew how much Lillian loved that young guy, she must be insane with worry.

Well, Eleanor could only hope that accident was not crucial. Looking down at Aaron who was oblivious to the news and with bumpy bounces of his feet more than excited to sprint she chuckled, "Aaron, honey. Your aunt, uncle and cousins are not here right now,"

His smile dropped into a pout,

Eleanor thanked the maid who went and gone to prepare a bath and refreshments for them, "Come now little sprog, you'll have energy to stand on your leg after a needed nap,"

An hour after a very needed hot bath running for her and Aaron who after nibbled on a few crackers and immediately oozed in a slumber.

Eleanor deliberated to pick up where she left of her book by the clever Jane Austen but her eyes had gone cross from all the reading and embroidering in the carriage.

she could really use a fresh air, Winterlea had an magnificent park. Evan and Lillian's garden was extraordinary. Since they could be back any time Eleanor strolled outside the room.

The quarrel with Kevin had not cooled off, he was sure she was doing a mistake by travelling so far and when he tried to accompany them at the last second Eleanor had been so angry already from his words to her son that she argued right back with him. No doubt the whole servants had got an earful of gossip to sell.

A wave of anxiousness seemed to leave her as soon as she stepped outside the doors to the garden, the large area where a fountain was set in the middle surrounded by green grass and beautifully sculpted bushes and flowers were all around, this was what she needed.

Complete calm and peace. Where nature had the ability to cease all her worries, where nothing could reach her. Not her fake and already falling marriage, not the society's observant eyes.

Nothing.

Dragging in lungful of air she let the beauty of her view consume her thoughts instead. Occasionally breathing in the flowers and watching the drop of waters from the fountain.

A smile that seemed so long ago lifted her mouth, she recalled the joyful part of her childhood.

Holding her hands exactly as she did every time when young she closed her eyes, wishing. A face she couldn't forgot and who reminded her of her son everyday since flickered through her mind briefly.

I wish for——

"Enjoying the view?" A deep voice broke through.

Eleanor's had her eyes opening instantly and her feet swirling around so fast with the way her heart beat out of control, for a brief second she let the fantasy of it being true... that the voice.. No.

Ready to greet the stranger her heart lurched in her throat, her eyes who once crinkled to see better thanks to the sun gleaming with its glory— she tried to cover her hand over her eyes, why didn't she think to wear her bonnet?

As if the stranger knew her troubles his towering height shadowed the sun and every atom in Eleanor's body came to a frozen stop, no.

"Lorenzo...."

Eyes so wide she wasn't aware the words left her mouth in wonderment, in awe. In complete shock.

Her heart who beat like a hammer didn't stop, it echoed a hollow beat in her ear. Her throat closed up whenever she even tried to speak, she wanted to scream for him to speak, to show her that it wasn't a simple fiction of her dreams, that standing in front of this fountain and thinking of him hadn't made him turn up like a ghost.

As if to prove herself that none of it was true... it was all inside her head... awaken herself from this absurdity. her fingers lifted of it own accord, reaching all the way to his cheek, with one finger. One. She let it graze his cheek and the contact with flesh had her flinch in surprise

Before she could move his hand gripped hers and standing motionless she was powerless to do anything as his dark eyes held hers imprisoned

"Long time, Cara."

___________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT

A/N : AHHHH!! The awaited reunion is finally here!! I hope you enjoyed this chapter.