34. Destiny

Chapter 34

Lillian was back to her scheming—-as her husband called but to her it was working with fate. Only the situation was very complicated, she could only guess how Eleanor would react...

No she knew her sister would be furious, angry and dreadful if she knew what was awaiting her.

But then again Lillian would not be surprised, she herself was very familiar to all those feelings before life seemed to knock sensing into her, had her husband not arrived in time at that voyage before she took off back to Ireland she would've been miserable.

And she feared that was the situation her sister would've live with only worse. Where Lillian didn't care for society's rules and rubbish Eleanor was the opposite, dear god she could only guess how much the royal family a family she no longer was apart of could rule over. Even with their father dead four years ago didn't change much.

But this situation would.

Lillian was determined, and the more she learned about Lorenzo Di Angelo the more she liked. He seemed to be an impeccable behaving man, a reserved but nonetheless a good man. He was not afraid to get his clothes dirty when her mischievous boys played. He adored her children although she caught hurt flicker in his eyes.

He was kind to the servants even when that was not a quality wanted by high titled family's—- But Lillian and Evan was not one of those family's, they treated their workers with outmost respect by their station so to see another do it as well was a pleasant surprise.

"Darling, what is all this preparing about?" Evan strolled inside the drawing room after an errand he and Lorenzo went by. Lillian smiled sheepishly as she set down her cup of tea, no doubt had he seen the servants and the cook Mrs Greta create her delicious pastries.

"Oh I must've forgot to tell you, Eleanor is arriving tomorrow. Her letter arrived only a week ago, I'm over the moon! They haven't visited us for so long!"

"Tell me, does this certain visit had anything to do why you've been so set on me delaying Lorenzo's return?"

Busted

Evan knew her through and through, it would be worthless to lie, "Perhaps...but I think it's fate. It cannot be anything else, after all she wrote in the most perfect timing,"

Lillian herself couldn't believe how everything was falling perfectly. My god it was as if the angels knew this two was meant for each other, she could see a scene before her eyes like those theoretical soap operas acting when lovers were reunited with angsty emotions.

"My dear, you've outdone yourself," He shook his head as he continued with a amusement, "Only you could turn this into a romantic tale,"

Her husband didn't really have an romantic bone in his body, and neither did she. That was why they fit so well, but Lillian felt this was more than romance.

It was destiny.....

Back in the reserved rooms Lorenzo was plagued with thoughts, and he couldn't seem to rein them back in. Thankfully this past three days he and the earl had visited a few other estates he had near, all the while Lorenzo was tormented with his past.

It had been taken all his control to hold back the words that was at the tip of his mouth, and when he was convinced the man would give him a talk after the way he had avoided his wife and barely glanced at her, when manners called he spoke briefly but other than that he avoided her. And it would take a fool to not notice that.

So when Lorenzo was sure Evan would want to know what the hell was going on and if perhaps his wife after all had told the truth Lorenzo was perplexed when the Earl only spoke about work.

He should've been relieved, but somewhere inside him he burned, wanted to have it out. Even if that could end in physical brawl.

And to his utter shock the earl only clapped him on the shoulder leaving with saying he was more than happy with their agreement and insisted for him to stay over before his voyage for Italy arrived.

Which meant two more days of unbearable and painful memories on his side,

Dio! Why was he tormented when she could sit there just fine?.

If anything he should give himself a punch or two for behaving as a jerk. A determination came over him,  to seek out a word with her, perhaps apologise for his behaviour even if he wanted answers more from her than apologising he would settle for that.

At least that had value. It would mean he could finally concentrate on his work, rather than the past. His pent up anger and betrayal would cool off once they had a word. He would have a peace of mind and he could set her at ease, not that she needed it.

When finally dinner came around as usual the family was a perfect image of a happy and content family, with footmen on the very far corner and occasionally a few maids to bring more trays of food.

Evan was the first to acknowledge his appearance, "You must be famished,  Mr Di Angelo,"

"I can't say I'm not," he threw a smile and cast a brief glance at Lillian who seemed surprise by his gaze on her, before she threw him her usual beaming smile, "Don't fret, even with the lot of us there's still some of that lamb you've take to liking left,"

Lorenzo hoped the surprise wasn't shown on his face as he sat down and bestowed her with a lift of his mouth in what he hoped was a smile, "Has it been that obvious?"

He really tried to eat the food but with the past few days with tension that could cut through a knife, the food has been hard to enjoy and eat without wanting to bolt out of the seat.

They both chuckled, "Hard to miss," Lillian bold and firm voice once again tickled Lorenzo's senses in an unfamiliar way.

The conversations dulled in more safe subjects the twins was behaving dutiful occasionally having their parents reprimand.

Normally when Lorenzo was done he would excuse himself, more than eager to leave. But now that he was hoping to have a word with Lillian he had to hold his horses.

Eventually Lillian excused herself saying she needed to check upon Ella, Evan also excused himself to his study and normally Lorenzo would join him but he told him he'd join him in a second.

Evan didn't seem to think of it more than a curious glance as he went off.

Lorenzo didn't exactly know where the infants nursing room were and when he couldn't find Lillian in the drawing room he sighed ready to leave when a figure came out from the adjourning room.

A relief came over him

Lorenzo forced himself to take a deep breath as her gaze collided with his and only a brief surprise flickered inside her dark blue gaze, "Is something amiss?"

"I have to have a word with you"

_______________________

    VOTE AND COMMENT

A/N : Hope you enjoyed this chapter! If you did don't be shy to let me know your thoughts and tap on that star! Love you all!