27. Soirée

Chapter 27

One evening Eleanor was attending another soirée that her father used to host, the role now passed to her.

She glimmered in her dark blue gown of Madame Estelle's latest collection that had her sapphire eyes standing out and her dark hair that grown pinned up in a coiffure style, at first her acquaintances did a double take astonished to see such a difference in her usual appearance, or was it her absence for so long, she never found out as they quickly hid their shock as manners called.

She surveyed the room of elegant high tilted lords and ladies all across England and even Ireland.

It was only then she noticed.

At first she thought she must've seen it wrong, but she couldn't mistake it,

Kevin.

What did he want now? And how was he invited? Not that she was the one who kept an eye on the invitation she at least knew that it was only applied to gentlemen and ladies, men like him weren't invited, they weren't royal neither aristocrats.

She had been in plenty of balls and ceremonies wishing to see him all those years when she was younger. Having to sneak around to see him, write in discreet and hope her father never found out.

And now he was here looking like he could fit in, but behind the facade she could see him, see the liar and the betrayal.

Drawing a deep breath she didn't let him distract her as a pair of men and ladies approached her, she listened with half an ear since the conversation thankfully didn't need her full participation.

Just as she shared a laugh at something witty Lord Colton said she saw a figure approaching at the corner of her eye,

"Excuse me gentlemen, ladies." The familiar voice broke in, his grey eyes landing back on hers with a slight smile as he bowed, "Your highness,".

Strive to be calm, you've perfected the act before, it is no difference now.

Hiding her displease she nodded curtly hoping he could take it as a sign to march the opposite way. But the blasted man only smiled fully showing his obvious charm she once fell for but had her now almost rolling her eyes at his performance, to her disbelief the ladies beside her blushed.

"I hope I haven't interrupted, but if your cards aren't full your highness I would like to have the honour to share dance with you,"

And it couldn't be worse, he knew she couldn't refuse, certainly not with people around. He had her exactly where he wanted, cornering her where she couldn't deny it. She hoped he could see how much she wanted to murder him.

Wasn't the letter she shredded to pieces an answer that she didn't want anything to do with him?

Dammnation!

"Indeed Lord...." She trailed off knowing she could not make it seem as if they knew each other.

"Call me Kevin," He grinned as she let him see her eyes flare with irritation, the group taking in them with an undisguised interest, "Well Kevin, I will be delighted to dance with you,"

As if he knew the music would start this second they crossed to the floor when he took her out reached hand and placed his lips against her gloves, he spoke deeply, "This was our favourite song remember?"

Gritting her teeth as he drew her to him and she had no choice but to place her hands on his she didn't waste no time as she whispered harshly, "What in the world are you doing here"

"Now don't look so disappointed my love, I assume you haven't gotten my letter?"

"I've received your letter and don't call me that! What I want to know is why your here," She shot back all the while doing her best to act like she did nothing but enjoy his company.

He was a few inches taller than her, she didn't need to look up at him, he didn't tower her like... like Lorenzo, where in his embrace she felt like he enfolded her with his body, making her want to sink in his arms.

Shaking her heads at her thoughts she saw now the glimmer of lust and want flaring in his eyes, "I've missed you desperately... I searched for you for quite a while, and it was quite an work,"

She nearly snorted, "Enough with the charade Kevin, I don't know why your here and I have no care for it other than that it will stop. The day you made it clear where your priorities were was the day we were done."

Clenching his jaw he looked away, but if she thought he was defeated she quickly realised she was wrong, "I just can't understand it, Eleanor. Your father didn't want you for me, yet you loved me still... why? Why when you could have any man in this room? Who have more wealth? Who are worthy of you."

His words was like an reminder of her foolish youth, perhaps if she thought like the rest of her family, like the way she was supposed to think she maybe would've saved herself from heart ache.

The man she once loved saw love in checks with lots of zeros on it.

"Consider it a foolish mistake, I must've been out of my mind to have waited for you, although I believe I owe my father a thank after all."

She had been so mad at her father when she found out thinking that her father couldn't come between them

But he had chosen the money.

And now she saw it clear, had her father never done that... she would be married to him and never known how easy his love for her could be replaced.

And she could see he knew exactly what she meant, as if the lucks was on her side the music ended, dropping her hands from him she gave him a last word,

"You know the way out,"

Later on that evening she arrived back home to Windsor castle, her feet weary from all the dancing, tired of all the pretending and thinking nothing sounded better than a soothing bath and perhaps a stroll in the library.

Just as she was about to ask her maid to prepare her bath she saw a figure approaching, holding the urge to sigh she saw Uncle Kenneth.

And the once hatred look he did his best to threw at her whenever she saw him seemed to be gone, she didn't like what she saw now any better. A glimmer of gloating and smugness writing on his face,

Hadn't she had enough of men she didn't want to see for one day?

"Uncle Kenneth," she greeted putting on a composure.

"Eleanor, I take it that the evening was splendid?"

If he was here for a conversation he should've known she was not in the mood, although she knew he cared nothing for one's discomfort other than his own, letting him not affect her she smiled briefly, "Yes it indeed was," there. Her answer short and not opening for an further discussion.

As she was about to walk past him he turned on his heel, "About that letter you wanted to send,"

She stifled. Her body freezing as her feet came to halt, what did he just say?

"You didn't think I wouldn't found out did you? Or more accurately no one to find out?," He continued not hiding a satisfied face at her surprise, Eleanor's throat closed up, he couldn't have seen that letter! It was meant for Lorenzo!

"I don't know what your talking about," she spoke but the quiver in her voice told her out.

"Hmm, don't you? Let me refreshen your mind then, that is if you think speaking about it this open in the halls is better... I say let's meet in my study?,"

Her fingers digging inside her palm so hard she was surprised she didn't drew blood as his snickering ran in the halls leaving her now alone.

And she knew the worse was yet about to come.

__________________________

         VOTE AND COMMENT