25. Inheritence

Chapter 25

Eleanor knew now for certain that something was wrong with her. All because her period hadn't arrived, she had not want to face that fact when she was in Essex with her sister, the thought so dreadful she had convinced herself that it would come in any day.

But her menstruation usually came like clockwork, it never was a problem before. And she usually dreaded it.

Until now. For the last week she had prayed for it to arrive, would do anything to have it come but that option flew out the doors when she ended up throwing out all the breakfast she consumed, thank god it was right before she left for London and no one but a few servants was awakened.

Eleanor had bid Lillian farewell the night before and promised she would visit and see the little boys for Christmas, now the thought pierced her.

Oh dear.

She was pregnant... and didn't even know of it all this time!

Her heart lurched at her throat as the carriage picked it speed through landscapes and dull weather.

Lorenzo.

She would need to write him, thank heavens she knew where he lived. He had the right to know, her own hard upbringing without her mothers presence and her fathers neglect had been an experience to what she would never wish for her own child.

Even if Lorenzo perhaps wanted nothing to do with her, no doubt already accustomed to her disappearance.

What has she done? How gullible of her to think two weeks tousled in the sheets and lovemaking that had her still dreaming in her sleep and feeling his kisses, body and touches within her.

She had never thought beyond. Of the consequences.

Cradling her stomach she imagined and a wistful smile laid on her lips as she thought of the little baby growing inside her belly.

And another feeling than fear and worry came over her, excitement... anticipation. It left her giddy and joyful, she wanted to share the news, tell her sister desperately... but what would she think? It was not in marriage lock,

And another wave of fear hit her.

She dwelled on it as the carriage lurched after hours, and possibly a new day if she could find a clock somewhere.

the footman opening her door and letting the morning sun rays light through, "My lady, will you have me accompany you to the doors?" Richard spoke as a pair grooms hoped off his horse. Evan insisted she had them accompanying her for the long ride and she could hardly refuse.

"No it is not needed, you may come inside to refreshen yourself," As she said those words they looked at her with surprise, no doubt would any other have left them to their duty but Eleanor always took pity in people.

It never made sense to her how much of one's birth had a role in how they would treated. Turning on her heels she saw the place she had dreaded for nearly a year now.

The castle could be seen from miles and had guards nearly everywhere, pane after pane of sparkling window glass glinting in the well-ripened sunshine. The servants entrance stood at a ground level. At a set of elegant double stairs led up around it to the main portico, finished in the paladian style, complete with columns.

Her attire said very much she looked like a ragdoll rather than royalty.

Walking towards the gates she saw familiar faces, the guards looking in surprise once her face came in light,

"Your highness," they bowed as Eleanor nodded with a slight smile, "It's good to see you all again, if you could bring a maid, the footman and groom would like to refreshen themselves,"