13. Wager

Chapter 13

How Eleanor managed to breathe properly when Lorenzo approached her she had no clue considering that for the past thirty minutes she had been daydreaming about that scorching hot kiss while gathering her belongings and being alarmed everytime her door opened, thinking he was there.

"Have you done packing?" He spoke and Eleanor felt a relief inside her that he had not brought up what just transpired between them, yet the odd sensation in her stomach had not stopped, "I am nearly finished, although i wish to visit a shop nearby,"

He nodded curtly, "I'll accompany you"

No

Because she could barely think properly when he stood meters away from her, she did not need to spend more time with him. But the blasted man had not let her reply, he only turned without looking at her,

and that was when she realized he had barely looked at her... was he regretting the kiss? Her heart weirdly dropped at the thought,

while she wished her nerves would stop tingling and her mind to stop thinking about the devilish man she had not felt regret... quite opposite in fact... it had been the first kiss she had not felt the need of withdrawing.  No, she wanted more... much more.

Again her mind had strayed... She was truly vexed with herself, couldn't she stop thinking about the well-kissing man for one second? It was not like she would see further of him after today, and that was supposed to put her in ease.

Side by side, thirty minutes later after successfully zipping her baggage closed Eleanor and Lorenzo strolled across the street, "You were here before you said?" he broke the silence, a silence that was filled with tension and heated glances..

"Yes, indeed... The shop is simply enchanting, and the owner... Her name is Margaret," her throat closed up as she felt her breath hitch from his intense dark eyes.

Why every word felt strained was beyond her! Couldn't she speak frankly with the man no longer? She felt like a timid mouse.

"Is that so?" his tone a notch husky as he watched the provoking sway of her hips, made to tempt a man into insanity... He was more intrigued with everything about her.. the way her silky locks would fall above her eyes only for her small long fingers to brush it back, the way her eyebrows would scrunch in concentration, he was mesmerized by simple looking at her...

He wanted nothing else but to drag her away and have his way with her. And for a second he believed she could read his lurid thoughts when she looked over him, his heart shuddered at her strikingly beauty, "I– I would like to bid my goodbyes to her, and it wouldn't be proper for you to go in with me"

Proper...

Of course, that would be her worst worry... he had been filled with thoughts, couldn't get her out of his mind while she on other hand seemed to want nothing else but to put miles between them, the reminder leaving a bitter taste in his mouth,

concealing his hurt he gave a curt nod, "I suppose your correct, we wouldn't want to spark any attention, after all it would not be proper"

Eleanor watched his figure disappear as the wind swept past her, she swore she head anger and a twing of something else... could it be----

"Eleanor!"

the voice brought her back to present, turning her head she saw Margaret now waving inside her shop before she walked to push the door open, "I didn't think you would visit me so soon again,"

Brushing off her puzzlement Eleanor beamed a smile as she entered the small boutique, "How could i not? I've been filled with curiosity about the ingredients of that perfume, it is a delightful scent–" Eleanor did not add that the curiosity behind it was Lorenzo's reaction towards it... he had spoken about her scent before he kissed her... Inhaling as if his mind had been addled.

Margarets eyes twinkled, "I must confess it is one of my favorites... difficult to find anywhere.. But the ingredients is untold, I have pondered on that very thought myself,"

A scent like that seemed to be made from heaven, it would not surprise Eleanor more if a witch made it,

Margaret lightly grasped her arm, "Now, come i have a few disturbing questions of my own... i suppose you haven't heard what is surrounding the town"

"What?"

"He you came with...Lorenzo Di Angelo, a well known man around here if i might say"

Now Eleanor felt more than confused, "Well known?"

"Yes, it is told that he is the son of Marco Di Angelo, an architect who passed away which led to Lorenzo taking over.. although he is more known for— well i chant say those things know that you and him—"

So that was his last name... Di Angelo... No The man was no angel... A devil...yes that matched him very well... A devil who evoked feelings she rather buried

Before Margaret could get it more twisted Eleanor spoke, "No no you have misunderstood, Mr. Di Angelo has been kind enough to help me in my circumstances, I was supposed to visit Rome but ended up here in Venice, Lore— Mr. Di Angelo has been providing help,"

The old woman was supposedly not that old Eleanor thought as she sent her a knowing look when she stumbled over her words, "If that is the case i wonder why the town are chatting and wagering"

"Wagering?" Now Eleanor's mouth was hung agape,

"Yes, although now when you explained the relation between you two it shouldn't make sense that people wager"

"About precisely what?" she couldn't fathom why anyone would wager about—-

"Well there was frankly a lot but it all concluded that Lorenzo has a new mistress and how long she would— last, I could scarcely believe it when they said his interest was an foreigner, then i saw him now— with you"

Eleanor freezed, her throat closed up, it was as if she swallowed a handful of nails, "I am not his mistress" the words strangled from her... dear god if she thought she was not far from decorum she certainly was convinced now.

"Don't look so dreadful, i don't doubt that is the truth but in the look of the italians who precisely know the man for his carousing it is... well..."

undeniable...

Eleanor did not need Margaret to continue, she got the picture, trying her best to squash her hurt she plastered a smile hoping to change topic, "I have not seen those products"

Margaret beamed as she happily showed off her goods, meanwhile Eleanor's mind was in turmoil about her gullible naiveness.. an act that had once brought up a fresh wave of pain, he must have known it, through out those times he took her to the market and restaurants she had never put much attentions to the glances they received, both intriguing and curious, she had been used to attention her whole life.

She had not believed the people where invested, clearly knew him more than she believed,

She did not know a wit about him other than he was her savior, a hand in reach for help and today that would be the end.

Today she would leave off for Rome and he would be here, perhaps find a real mistress whom the town could put on a more accurate wagers.

_____________________________

VOTE AND COMMENT

A/N : what do you think of this story so far? Do you think Eleanor is overreacting?