37. Anything for him

Chapter 37

"What are you hiding Eleanor?"

My god. He knew her. It was as if Eleanor found herself in a tunnel she couldn't see the way out from, everything seemed to be a blur and she was helpless to do anything.

How could he be here? How?

Her mind was in turmoil, reeling at the possibility.

"Cat got your tongue Cara?" His silken velvet dark and deep voice seemed to be the only thing that had the capacity to bring her back to life, all the while her eyes convinced her she was seeing things.

But she wasn't, and no matter how much she blinked and closed her eyes he was there, in flesh.

And her one panic was Aaron. Her son who was sleeping peacefully in a room completely unaware of everything.

"We—I have to speak with you," uttering the words she never thought she would need to say. Lorenzo's eyebrows were arched, "Prey tell me exactly what?"

How calm and collected he seemed.

Meanwhile she had difficulties even breathing with him so near, and thankfully he gave her room to breath when she took another step back,

Looking over her shoulders she was grateful the place was far to big a whole village could get lost into and no one was in sight besides them, no servants were around.

"Afraid you'll be seen with me?" His nostrils flared, she was surprised to see a flash of hurt flicker between his eyes before it was gone.

"Yes,"

because that meant her son's future would be in danger. If people saw her with Lorenzo they wouldn't need to draw further conclusions, no one would second guess who the father was. Despite Kevin's dark features with dark brown hair and brown eyes he and Aaron didn't look alike.

But she was not about to blurt that all out to him, after all he must've had his own handful of surprise with seeing her, how would he react when he knew he had a three year old son?

No doubt hate her even more.

His jaw clenched at her previous words, "You won't have to worry for long, I will leave tomorrow. My work here is temporary,"

"Work?"

"Your sister haven't told you, I gather. I'm the architect your brother-in-law hired"

What!

So—- So he simply hadn't appeared from thin air... he was here for work.

"You—- you've meet my family?"

His chuckle made her skin tingle, how much she missed that simple sound. Deep and raspy, "I could fill you in on all that but I would rather not, you on the other hand owe me an explanation, a twin sister? Dio!"

If only he knew what more she owed.

She broke away from his intently gaze, "It was not important at that time, you can understand that,"

"What more wasn't important? Your name? Who you are? You told me you were a governess"

Blast it.

Why hadn't she been honest with him? Even if she thought they would never see each other again it didn't excuse her lies, "I— I'm sorry, I was in desperate need of freedom and I—" wanted to be someone else for an exchange.

The words hovered in the air, Lorenzo watched her like he couldn't decide his thoughts, "So you desired for freedom? And thought lying to me was the way?"

"At the time it didn't feel like lying, I didn't know much of your life as well."

A look of guilt was over his face before it left, "You were the one who left, not me. Hadn't you left I would've—-" he halted himself, dragging a frustrated breath before continuing, "It doesn't matter no longer."

Eleanor wondered what he meant, her heart beat furiously. Once again doubt overcame her, hadn't she been a coward things would've perhaps look different. Hadn't she left that morning that still affected her, would things been different?

His body tensed as his eyes landed on something and her eyes followed, her breath hitched, "Your married," his voice didn't indicate disappointment as his eyes were glued to the ring on her finger.

It seemed so detached, her heart squeezed in pain.

Dear heavens, how much could she take without feeling like tumbling on the ground?

"I shall have a carriage arrive any moment, do not worry for my inconvenience" his harsh breath rang through her ear, it was unbearable to her.

Dear god, would her presence chase him off?

When it just seemed like a miracle he was here?

Closing her eyes in pain she didn't care if she sounded desperate,

This no longer could continue, not when it was all a lie.

"Lorenzo, please give me a chance to tell you.. everything"

"You don't owe me it. Save it for your husband," he snarled and that would've made her recoil but Eleanor was far in her own anguish, in their anguish to let this farce continue.

"No. your the one I owe. Please I know this will come as a tremendous shock, I want you to know that in that moment I saw no other way. I would've do it again, for him. Anything for him."

He tensed she saw the pain in his eyes so visible it had tears pooling her eyes.

"I did it for my son—- our son"

_________________________

       VOTE AND COMMENT

A/N : Happy new year guys! 2024 is here! Hope all your wishes will come true and if you had a bad year don't be hard on yourself, see it as a lesson. I am thankful for all you guys! Hope you enjoyed this chapter!