10. Boutique

Chapter 10

Eleanor's heart thundered so hard she believed it would burst out of her chest any moment, dear heavens. It was utterly maddening. It was a moment of insanity before she could finally grasp her senses and flee

Meanwhile her mind could not stop replaying what just occured, what could've happen.

touching her lips briefly she drew in another shaky breath, "what am i doing?" she murmured to herself. It was so unlike of her to ever shun away, hadn't years of etiquette and niceties lessons taught her that? A little tete-a-tete was something she tolerated but dear heavens she wanted him to kiss her... wanted and nearly threw herself upon him, not being able to stand the desire so strong, the scent of him, the inviting touch further addling her brain.

Now she was standing outside a little boutique that draw her attention from the first day she came, it seemed so secluded yet intriguing, at first she asked Lorenzo to bring her around the market but now after what transpired she couldn't trust herself around him and since Lorenzo was gone for work she found no better time than to indulge herself. She nearly gone cross-eyed from all the reading, there was nothing to do at the cottage and while Eleanor enjoyed solitude she had not fulfilled a number of her experiences she hoped to make.

Pushing open the door it jiggled as she stepped inside, the artistic decoration and neatly yet old fashioned way of the shop was the first thing Eleanor noticed and as she drew further in she saw an old woman approaching with a beaming smile, "Buongiorno... come posso esserti d'aiuto?"

at this moment however, Eleanor wished Lorenzo was here to translate, now she was alone again, a reminder of her first day here.

"I— I can't speak italian... Which makes this difficult for both of us... But your shop is very pretty," she spoke ready leave but just as she was about to turn on her heel the old women chuckled, "Not quite difficult, i wouldn't say..."

Eleanor's breath hitched, "You– you speak English?"

"Born and raised, young lady, but after eight years of living here I would say my english have become rusty,"

Eleanor nearly flew into her embrace, overcome with relieve and a giddy feeling she sombered, "Even a sentence would make a difference in my situation,"

Laughing she nodded in agreement, "I must agree, but then again we ourselves struggle with Latin, i suppose it only is fair..."

"Yes, i am afraid i have to agree, Mrs?---"

"Call me Margaret, young child... Now come here I saw your eager look across the road, I must admit you are the first customer I've had in days now,"

Eleanor blanched at that, "Truly?"

"Yes, it has not been easy to find a location to sell so i had to settle with this option, but lets not speak of my troubles, what are you in search for?"

"Oh, that i have not thought about," strolling after Margaret, Eleanor browsed among the shelves of observed plenty of bracelets, necklaces, waxes, creams, soaps and bottles of perfumes. There were bath oils in stoppered crystal bottles and tins of herbal unguents. All from beauty care to luxurious pieces.

"That piece, where is it from?"

The time flew by as Margaret told tales and showed  more pieces, inviting her deeper into the shop.

Margaret observed the young beautiful woman with enthusiasm, she was striking with her deep blue eyes and even though she wore a bonnet Margaret could see her dark locks and her cream like complexion needing no products, turning her attention to the several bottles of perfume and oils she encouraged her to try, "Smells devine... I've never smelt a scent like this, what could it be?---" Eleanor stopped to inhale the heavenly scent again,

far later she purchased several products and promised Margaret to visit before she left tomorrow, "I cannot thank you enough, truly,"

"Do not thank me, it was my pleasure..."

Smiling widely Eleanor grasped the door handle as Margarets voice came again, "I didn't catch your name..."

Her heart lurched as the lie was close to her mouth, then Margarets eyes sparkled and the smile so motherlike... so welcoming she had never felt it in her entire life and just like that the words flew from her mouth,

"Eleanor, my name is Eleanor"

A wistful smile was still hovering Eleanor's lips as she strolled across the road, with handful of bags she was very much thankful for the shop being very near the cottage.

"Seniora... Hai ricevuto lettere" A man came forward as she approached her door, frowning lightly she was about to explain once again she was a foreign who could not understand but then her eyes saw what he held with his hand, gesturing it forward.

"Letters? Oh dear!" grasping the several letters with delight she smiled at the man as he bid with a nod. Eleanor didn't even bother hanging her cloak and taking of her bonnet as she strode inside to the sitting room, with impatient hands she opened the first from Lillian and read

Dear Eleanor

Might i express in words that i am beyond shocked that you write to me that you've taken off in a country where you know no soul? Heavens, Eleanor what in the world made you leave? You said you would stay with Katrina! I cannot possibly think it was fathers schemes... Although i wouldn't put it past him. However when i received your letter it made me remember the days when you dreamed of traveling across the continent, i can't say it doesn't sound like you but if my sister has not been abducted i would like a reply, (and more better your presence,)

your only loving sister, Lillian

Laughing heartily Eleanor couldn't help but grin, it was just like her sister to scowl her and think of abduction, after all Eleanor was never one to act recklessly... Such as a second away from kissing a sinful man who had her tongue twisted and mind blank, dear heavens if Lillian only knew that she would have lot more to be worried about...

____________________________

         VOTE AND COMMENT

A/N : what do you think about the story so far? I have written a lot this week and will update more frequently.