Book 2, Part 023 : The Usurper From The Wilds

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

Leona eyed Jack. "And what are you doing up so late? Need someone to sing you a lullaby?"

Ruggie laughed. "Maybe I'll give it a try,"

"I.. I want to know why.." Jack spoke after a moment,"Why are you two doing this?"

Leona quirked a brow. "Huh. So it's a bedtime story you want. All right, I got one for you,"

"We went up against Malleus' Diasomnia team in round one of the tournament for the past two years running," he crossed his arms over his chest,"We were eliminated both times. We got a case full-a championship trophies, but they ran circles around us like we were still in diapers," he glared at nothing,"And that disgrace was broadcasted to the entire world. I looked like an incompetent moron. And now, the pro league recruiters, well, they pass right by Savanaclaw,"

"But that's because we weren't good enough!" Jack passionately exclaimed.

"You're right about that," Leona agreed,"Last year, you could certainly say we didn't give the tournament our all. Only a total moron would've thought we could win," he frowned,"But that's how naïve we were. We never even came up with a plan or nothing," he scowled,"And we've got a fuckin' nerve to claim Savanaclaw honors the tenacity of the King Of Beasts! What a fucking joke!"

"But that's exactly why acting like cowards and cutting down our opponents is wrong!" Jack attempted to reason.

Leona aimed his glare at Jack. "'Wrong', you say? Jack, who do you think I'm doing this for? I'm thinking about you and your dormmates here! This is about crushing Malleus and restoring Savanaclaw's reputation!"

"The Headmage said if we don't win this year, Malleus is getting included into the hall of fame. " he clenched his fists,"That means this is our last chance to beat him. And you're gonna throw it away over.. what? Some moral superiority complex?"

Jack took a small step back, like a deer caught in headlights. "But.. I.."

"Using your wits to corner your prey is part of the hunt," Leona said,"There's nothing cowardly about it,"

"Night Raven operates on the survival of the fittest," Ruggie laughed, teeth glinting in the moonlight,"Nice guys don't last long here,"

"But, Housewarden," Jack began, regaining most of his composure,"If you got serious about playing, we could actually be a threat to Diasomnia! I saw the way you played three years ago! I'll never forget it!"

Leona bared his teeth, scowling frighteningly at him. "What do you know about anything, frosh?!"

Jack's eyes widened in surprise, standing up straight.

Leona took a step forward. "You want me to 'get serious about playing'? Hah! Now you're the one who's naïve. It wouldn't change a thing. Now, get outta my sight,"

Jack stared at Leona for a moment, then at Ruggie, before he frowned deeply and exited the room.

Ruggie watched at he walked off. "That boy could be a problem. You want me to take care of him?"