Book 4, Part 044 : The Schemer Of The Scalding Sands

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

You wiped your forehead with the back of your hand, panting lightly. Beside you, Helia let out quiet huffs, occasionally threading his fingers through his hair so smaller strands wouldn't stick to his face.

"That will be all for today. Tomorrow morning, we march to the eastern oasis, where I will put you through your paces." Kalim exclaimed, glaring over you all before he turned on his heel and left the lounge.

Simultaneously, all the students released the breathes they were holding, some leaning against the walls and pillars whilst the rest stood with the hands on their knees.

"My arms and legs feel like noodles..." One Scarabia student panted.

"Water... need water..." a second huffed.

"And we have another day of melting in the desert heat ahead of us tomorrow. Uugghh..." a third student groaned.

"What's come over the Housewarden? He never used to be like this." Another student said.

Jamil side-eyed them momentarily before diverting his attention to you.

Grim panted and huffed, collapsing on the ground beside your feet.

"Finally, it's over. He was all smiles and sunshine before. What's the deal with the sudden one-eighty?"

"I imagine when we placed last in the Magical Shift interdorms, and then Scararbia collectively scored at the bottom of exams.." Jamil let out a small, sad sigh,"He must have felt personally responsible. He's had terrible mood swings ever since."

"That ain't a mood swing. It's like he's a totally different person!" Grim exclaimed.

You frowned. "I agree. Getting such severe 'mood swings' from losing a tournament and low exam grades is a bit farfetched."

"I've known him a long time," Jamil let out a small sigh,"But that volatile temper has left me stumped as to how to approach him. He'll say one thing, then do something else the next minute. The way he goes on these powered trips without warning is out of control."

"The whole dorm used to look up to our Housewarden, but this odd behavior has us all scratching our heads. He's been making unreasonable demands, as you just saw..." he let out another sigh,"I fear it's only a matter of time before the students reach the end of their rope. I've done what I can to smooth things over, but this has gone beyond my ability to handle alone."

Grim let out a breath between clenched teeth. "Yeesh. Between you and Trey over in Heartslabyul, you Vice-Housewardens have it rough."

His brows furrowed for a moment before his gaze lit up as he snapped his fingers. "Ah! Of course, you three are diamonds in the rough."

"Pardon?" You inquired.

"Huh? What're you talkin' about?" Grim mumbled.

Jamil smiled. "Heartslabyul, Savanaclaw, and even Octavinelle... Rumor has it that you three are outstanding students who have solved problems with multiple other dorms."