Book 4, Part 048 : The Schemer Of The Scalding Sands

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌☆🌌

"Woo! I win! That's three for me!" Floyd cheered.

Jamil smiled at him. "You're tough competition when you're focused, Floyd."

"Mryah?! I lost again! You're relentless, Azul!" Grim shrieked.

"That brings me up to five to zero." Azul let out a chuckle,"I'd be an affront to The Board Game Club with anything less, of course."

He turned to Jamil. "Meanwhile, Jamil's at.. two to three, I see."

"Hm? Oh, yes. It's been a while since I last played. I suppose I've gotten rusty." Jamil stared at the board with a small smile,"Back in the old days, Kalim would spend hours a day making me play with him. Insisting on going until he won a game, despite his middling skill. Imagine that."

Azul hummed. "Ah, I see."

"Mm, yes, that would explain it." He mouthed afterward.

"Explain what?" Jamil narrowed his gaze,"You sure love your cryptic little asides."

Azul waved a dismissive hand. "Forget I said anything. So, you and Kalim essentially grew up together, correct?"

Jamil hummed. "We've been together as long as I can remember, yes. Speaking of which, you three Octavinelle boys have been friends since childhood, I hear?"

"Thaaat's what they say!" Floyd sang.

Grim looked at him. "What's that supposed to mean? You're talkin' like you're not even one of 'em."

"We've been classmates ever since elementary school.. but personally, I barely knew Azul existed until just before we started middle school." Floyd half-shrugged,"So I wouldn't exactly call us childhood friends."

Your eyebrows shot up in surprise. "You barely knew your own classmate existed until you graduated?"

"Talk about tunnel vision," Helia muttered.

"I was a rather quiet boy myself. I hardly ever stood out in class." Azul stated.

"You stood out in other ways, though." Grim smirked,"Not many guys could claim to be as cute and round as—"

Azul's hand shot out and covered his snout, a saccharine smile on his lips. "Grim, I believe we've been over this multiple times. You are not to dredge up the forbidden lore."

"Yet here you are now, presiding over them as housewarden." Jamil looked between the two,"You have a curious relationship."

Floyd tilted his head lightly. "Y'think? I just do what Azul says 'cause it's more fun that way."

"I strongly doubt Jade or Floyd have a binding allegiance to me. This is all an elaborate game of pretend to them." Azul stated.

"Your relationship is getting more confusing by the minute." Jamil deadpanned.