Meet Maverick Campbell

Maverick's pov

Basketball, it's my life, it's what I like best. I always liked basketball ever since I was young. Maybe ever since I could walk and talk. I can't remember but it's been an awful long time.

I'm a part of my school's basketball team but there are plenty of guys that are a part of the team. I'm just one of them but actually, I'm not. I'm more than that. I'm not just a player. My name is known and everything but I'm sure you all still have no clue who I am.

Well, I'm Maverik Campbell, not just a 15-year-old teenage boy, no, I'm my school's basketball captain on the Spitfires of Rochester High.

Captain? At 15? Impressive no? I'm only 15 and a sophomore and I have already attained exceptional status. It's not my fault that I'm so good and that I'm the best leader.

Ok, I'm boasting off my ego. I didn't magically become the captain. I had to work hard all those years to attain it.

I think I have some explaining to do on how my team works. Rochester High might have some funding and glory but for some reason, it didn't translate into the Spitfires.

Why? Well, because there weren't enough players, they decided that all players, regardless that they were a freshman or seniors will be on the same team. Complicated and unfair right? Reason? Their basketball team was awful and the other teams of Rochester High were good.

Regardless, I ignored all of that and signed up for it. It was the best decision ever. Of course, they were bad but they quickly realized that I was good, like I had real talent, unlike the other guys.

Sure we haven't made the playoffs last year but I can't make miracles either.

Their captain was a senior last year and he graduated, so as they consider me, exceptional talent and wanted to make sure I would stay, they named me captain at the start of the year even though I was 14 at the time.

I might seem like perfection just like my looks suggest but I have a little issue that basically no one knows. It's not a big deal but I'm color blind. I've been so since I was young and never realized it. I got used to it but recently there was a colour-blind text online that got popular and I did it, that's how I knew I was colour-blind.

The colours I have trouble seeing are well, red and green, the most common type, so not shocking.

That fact is not a big deal but it's that. Yeah, I never got the test done because how could I? No one will believe me, Maverick Campbell is seen as perfection.

So, yeah, that's basically who I am.

Today, it's another morning in March and I have a game after school.

Before I get ready to head to school my brother draws me to school, by the way, I hate it but I can't do anything about it. I have to make myself look good. As much as I don't want to put some time into my looks, I'm still popular and I'm the face of the school. I've got no choice but to look my best.

And that starts with taking a shower. Well, I already did but that's beside the point, I get out of the shower with only a towel on. I check myself in the mirror and I decide to shave.

Sure, I don't have a full-on beard but who wants to see a beard on a teenage guy like me? Come on, even I don't want to see that.

That's the bad side of puberty and teenage years. At least, I don't have acne like a lot have. Even if it's that, it's still annoying that lately, I've been growing an unwanted moustache.

After I shave, I take care of my hair and my face. While I do so, I hear a knock on the door.

"Hey! What's taking so long over there?! Why is it taking as long as a girl?!" Ugh...my brother Thomas.