Chapter Twenty-Nine: Pain Au Chocolat

y/n's PoV:

You stare at him for a moment to assess the gravity of his words - He seems sincere when saying it; He actually means it. You nod contently.

y/n: So we're good again?

Charles smiles: Yeah. We are.

You stay on the balcony for a little while longer before heading out to get breakfast.

Charles' PoV:

She stuffs the pain au chocolat into her mouth, as if she suspects someone will swoop in and steal it from her. You laugh at y/n, as the pastry falls apart.

Charles: Dude, slow down - Chew!

You're standing on the corner of the street, breakfast in hand. You can barely understand her reply, since her mouth is full of food. You take her coffee away, so that she has an extra hand to handle her little pain au chocolat situation.

Practically two bites later the whole thing has vanished. She washes it down with some coffee, and then you start eating.

Charles in between bites: Couldn't you have eaten that like a normal person would've?

y/n sighs: First of all, I'm a normal person, and secondly, chill? Let me eat it the way I want to, and anyways, now my hands are free, and I'm not hungry anymore...

Charles smiles: Uh-huh... You're acting as if you didn't have any dinner.

y/n shrugs: I didn't really... I just had some candy-

Charles laughs: Hold up!?

y/n laughs: What!?

Charles: You're the one begging me to respect you as an adult - Since you're no kid - But you're the one eating CANDY for dinner? Is that freedom!?

You burst out in laughter - Your eyes tear up, as she tries to frantically justify her dinner-choices.

y/n: Oh come on, let me be... So I had a crappy, non-nutritional dinner... I'm still an adult!?

Charles: Oh God, you're hilarious...

y/n: Oh shut up! Are you done already!?

Charles laughing frantically: NO!

She turns red - You tease her all the way until the end of the street. Then you remember some things you wanted to tell her. You recover from your laughing.

Charles: By the way-

She glances at you.

Charles: Your boss- Georgia is really happy with you.

y/n excited: Really? Did she say so?

You nod and her face lights up.

Charles: Yeah, I ran into her at a restaurant last night, and she was super content with your work. She said you were really invested and motivated...

y/n smiles: I'm glad she sees it that way-

Charles: I was pretty proud at that moment. I told Mom about it too, and she was gushing about you - But she did say that you weren't returning her calls...