CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Noa

I arrived at school at my usual time, an hour late but this time I had to get myself some breakfast because I was hungry.

First period went too slow because it was Geography and I had other things on my mind during that lesson. I spent most of the lesson doodling but writing down key notes when they were needed.

So now it's break, I'm sitting at the table with Karen and the other girls, Juliette is here and Zara is somewhere but not here with the rest of us.

"I got you some fruit." Quinn slides as she slides over a plastic food container filled with different fruit. I thank her and stab a piece with the fork and eat it. Once I finish a few pieces I let the girls eat some and then I turn to Karen who is staring off at Juliette like she can't just take her to the bathroom and have a quickie. I don't know what has gotten into me lately.

"Sorry to interrupt whatever this is, do you have lipgloss?" I ask the blonde who hums and searches in her bag. Karen carries at least three tubes a day because she is always prepared, this is why us girls love her.

"Here you go, your favourite." She passes me the tube of Dior lipgloss and I thank her and open it up. My eyes spot Little Miss Blondie walking through the doors and a few eyes went to her, a boy approaches her but she ignored him. Someone is annoyed.

I apply the lipgloss on my lips and she watches me do so, her eyes lock with mine as I use it and she smiles and takes a seat at the table just as I finish.

"I swear to god if I get called into that office one more time I am sending in a complaint." She groans and we all look at her, "Your father hates me."

"No he actually loves you, he loves your mum too but that's a different type of love." I scoff and she rolls her eyes.

"What happened?" Juliette asks and Zara groans and drops her head into her hands for a few seconds, taking a deep breath before looking back at her.

"Carter's father keeps bringing me into his office to complain about my scores in tests and shit, like what the fuck is the third time this week and it's only Wednesday!" She complains and I pick my phone out of my pocket.

Could you please stop bringing Zara into your office to talk about whatever she's pissed off and it's cruel. It will be appreciated or I will get Mum involved.

My father is quite scared of his wife when it comes to complaints about him and students, he can be quite harsh and my mum is just sweet and kind. She doesn't take it well when he is rude to my friends and she agrees with me when I say that he should only need to visit a person once a week if it's for the same reason.

Of course, please don't tell your mum.

I won't just stop doing unnecessary meetings.

I swipe off messages and see a voicemail from Zara, it was from this morning when I was asleep. I put in my airpod to listen to it because if I don't it will stay in my mind for the rest of the day.

"Hey Carter, I just want to thank you for yesterday, I'm glad you are okay with your brother but you didn't need to fight him but thank you anyway. So last night when we were outside I saw the stars in your eyes and it really brought back the old times and I've missed that, and I've missed you. I'll see you soon Carter... also please come find me today I miss seeing your face."

My face heated up, a smile appeared wide on my face and I quickly hid my face in my arms against the table and my heart raced in my chest. I remove the airpod and put my phone back away as I try to calm myself back down.

"What's the matter with you?" Quinn asks and I laugh nervously. I know for a fact that I can't just go and say to her "I received a voicemail from someone I'm in love with but I didn't know what to expect so now I'm like this." So I just laugh and stay as calm as I can.

"Nothing, just happy," I answer and she laughs and nods before turning away to speak to whoever while I stay with my head low and feel the smile grow as her words repeat in my mind over and over again.

I can't believe I just listened to that with the girl who sent it sitting right in front of me. I am such an idiot.

After a few minutes of trying to calm myself down, I lift my head from the table and take a deep breath. Before I could even speak, a male's voice spoke and it caught my attention.

"Did you know that Caden got beaten up last night because he did some really fucked up shit?" Someone questions and my head turns towards the one who said it, it's a group of boys sitting behind us and I raise a brow, "Yeah I was on the game with him and his mic was still on, I heard the whole thing but I'm respecting privacy."

My eyes widen as it hit me, that fucker didn't turn off his headset so whoever was on that game playing with him heard. So they know what happened.

"Hey, whatever your name is come here." I say and the boys look at me, the one just speaking leaned over, "Keep names and situations to yourself, tell anyone I will get my parents involved. Deal?"

"Of course, I wouldn't share that anyway it's private." He says and I nod, "You did amazing, he deserves it."

"I know, keep it to yourself too." I plead and he nods and holds out his pinkie finger to me, I intertwine mine with him and we smile.

At least there are some good guys in this world.