CHAPTER FORTY THREE

Noa

We arrive at school quite early but I'm tired from staying up late last night looking at the stars with Zara. She doesn't even look tired which confuses me.

I notice a few guys come into the hall with messed up faces, cuts on their faces along with bruises and already, everyone was asking questions.

"What happened to those lot?" Juliette asks and Zara looks over and scoffs. She is sitting in front of me and I am almost asleep at this point.

"Nothing, they got into a fight?" The blonde answers and I let my head fall into my arms as I lay my head on the table, "Carter?"

"Yes?" I ask and keep my eyes closed, "Just a little tired."

"I swear you're a dead woman." Karen groans and I stop her from going anyway, "Holy shit. Your brother is an absolute mess."

I look up and over at my brother whose face is covered in bruises and cuts, he looks the same as when I beat him with a trophy. His hood is up but he looks directly at me, all I can see is anger.

And now he's walking over. And sitting beside me?

I lay my head back down but turn to look at him.

"You're grounded from seeing Zara by the way." He whispers and I raise a brow, "Your fucking girlfriend or whatever beat my ass and all my friends last night."

"What?" I look at Zara, sitting up and there's my heart skipping a beat with a part of me feeling...different.

"We called you as a joke and she probably took your phone because ten minutes later she was at our location with blood over her hands." He says quietly and all heads go to him.

"You were the one who called her?" Juliette asks, looking like she's going to murder him. There's the pain in my stomach growing.

"No, one of Kai's friends was, him." He points out a blonde guy and in seconds, Juliette, Karen, and Zara weren't at the table anymore, but on the way to him, "He's going to beat their ass."

"I doubt he can do shit. But that messed me up what the fuck?" I look at my brother who doesn't look so great mentally, he feels bad.

"I told them to stop because I know how it affects you, but he didn't. I am really sorry." He apologises and I sigh and look over at the girls.

Karen is covering his mouth, Juliette is holding him down, Zara is punching him.

It lasts a few minutes until Blondie stands up with bruised knuckles and bloody hands, she has a satisfied smile on her face.

I quickly leave the table and follow her into the bathroom, she's far ahead but she makes it there and I reach her a minute or so later.

She's washing her hands in the sink, wincing at the pain a few times but she looks at me through the mirror and I watch the smile rise to her face.

"Why did you do that?" I ask and she shrugs, "You can't just go and beat people up over a few calls."

"He hurt you though." She answers and I sigh.

"That doesn't mean you have to hurt him that bad," I reply and there's a silence whilst she turns to me.

"So you would rather have him get away with what he did?" Her eyebrow raises and I sigh and look at her once again, I don't know how she feels, I can't see anything in her expression.

"You already hurt him earlier, you don't have to do it again. Just stop hurting people over nothing." I shrug and she laughs.

"It's not over nothing Noa! He said shit things to you which clearly hurt you because I have not seen you eat a thing for two fucking days!" She shouts and I fall silent and so does she.

"It's nothing I can't handle though, just stop hurting people over whatever, it's ridiculous." I turn to the door and walk out, leaving her in the bathroom alone.

I don't know what I'm thinking, I love her but some things are too much. And it's spiralling in my mind to the point tears are threatening to fall.

Without knowing, I find myself in my parent's office, my father was speaking to my brother and my mum was speaking to Juliette.

"Shit, I am so sorry." I turn to leave as a tear falls.

"No, stay, what's wrong?" Juliette asks and I look at her, "What happened?"

"Caden don't do anything ridiculous." My father says before my brother leaves the room and I look at my parents and Juliette.

Is it true what I am about to say?

"She keeps starting fights with people because of me and then there's everything going on with the calls and just what was said is all I can think about. It's just going to hurt her if it continues." I explain to the three and Juliette's face fills with more worry.

"Are you saying you want to break up with Zara?" My father asks and I shake my head.

"I just told her I love her a few days ago, it's cruel." I feel myself breaking down into tears and my mum rushes to my side and sits me in a seat as my father walks over, "I can't hurt her like that."

"But just tell her you need space, she's going to understand. All she wants is for you to be happy. I just promise you she wants you to be happy and she is willing to help if things go bad. But if it leads to a breakup because it's what is best, then you do that, she will understand you completely." Juliette mentions and I agree with her.

My mum also agrees, my father just stays quiet because truthfully, he doesn't know what to say.

"Just do what feels right to you." The woman smiles at me and I thank her before wiping my face, "What do you have?"

"English, Juliette is in my class," I respond and she nods and stays silent for a few seconds before speaking again.

"We can get her to sit with you if you'd like." She offers and I nod before me and Juliette leave the office after thanking her and saying goodbye. Also once I gathered myself together and calmed down.

My chest aches, I don't want to do this but I also don't want her getting hurt in result of it all. It's for the best and she will know that. Hopefully she will.